1982 penny weighs 2.5 grams

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Terreon Butts, May 17, 2019.

1. Terreon Butts

Terreon Butts New Member

I habe a 1982 penny not in the best of shape but it weighs 2.5 grams. Is it worth anything?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Terreon Butts

Terreon Butts New Member

4. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

Just a cent, normal copper plated zinc cent. Welcome to the forum though!

5. Terreon Butts

Terreon Butts New Member

6. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

1982 was a transition year and they changed towards the end of the year from 95% copper cents, 3.11 grams, to zinc cents with a thin copper plating 2.5 grams.

7. Terreon Butts

Terreon Butts New Member

So which 1982 and or 1983 pennies are worth big money?

8. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

1c

1982 was the change over year, the mint made both copper and zlincons. 3.11g and 2.5g respectively.

9. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

The only valuable 1982's are the 1982 D small date copper, to date only 2 have been found.

10. Autoturf

Autoturf Well-Known Member

1983 Double die reverse, and 1983 copper. are some of the diamonds. as well as what cutler said.

11. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

You are more likely to get struck by lightning, while hitting the Powerball, than find a 1983 copper (most are Denver I believe) or a 1982-D small date copper.
    Now that being said, there have been 2 1982-D small date coppers discovered, one recently. And there are a very small number of 1983 coppers. Later date copper cents have also surfaced.
    But in practical terms, you and I are not finding one.

12. Autoturf

Autoturf Well-Known Member

another history thing, I read, west point was the first to start striking the zinc Lincoln, January 1982 and then sanfrancisco then philly, then Denver, all struck at west point and san Francisco did not bear a mintmark, and somewhere along that year was the date changes from large to small, different times, I guess. and there are over 22 varieties however, they really don't effect anything much so typical for collectors just to focus on the 7 common ones.

Draft saved Draft deleted