1982 penny really odd obverse

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by letmesee2, Feb 26, 2015.

1. letmesee2

letmesee2 Active Member

The obverse has what looks like letters/partial letters at and above date, maybe a "y" and a "T". I don't even know what to call the rest of the over and around Lincoln's head.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bryant M

Bryant M Active Member

Its just corrosion from the air bubbles under the copper plating

paddyman98, KurtS and tommyc03 like this.
  4. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

First year of Zinc cents were a disaster, very hard to find undamaged in circulation. They also did not store well in paper wrappers and turned black or were heavily spotted.

KurtS likes this.
  5. KurtS

KurtS Die variety collector

Strangely enough, the mint choose two metals, zinc and copper, that produce a strong galvanic reaction when there's a solution to transfer electrons. So if there's a hole in the copper plating and moisture present, copper can 'steal' an electron from zinc, which then reacts w/oxygen to produce white zinc oxide--often used for pigments and sunblock. Since ZnO takes up more room than zinc alone, and does absorb water vapor, it pushes up the copper plating which eventually becomes a crater, speeding up the reaction further. Ironically, coins of zinc such as past wartime issues in Europe, without any copper plating...last longer. Correct me if any science trivia is wrong. :)

6. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

zinc rot...

KurtS likes this.
  7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I see what you mean. They do look kind of like letters but it's just Simulcrum - a slight, unreal, or vague semblance of something; superficial likeness. And that was the definition of the word :bookworm:

8. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Excellent explanation.

KurtS likes this.
  9. letmesee2

letmesee2 Active Member

Thank you all. Even though it is junk, I love it when I at least am told it is junk rather than no response at all. I learning something that way.

10. oi!

oi! Member

It is the little known FKV. Freddy Krueger Variety

tommyc03 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted