1982 penny error? Maybe double die?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by No the smith, Jan 13, 2018.

1. No the smith

No the smith New Member

Hi, I’m new to coin hunting and I found a weird looking,1982 penny. Any help would be great. Thank you

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

First, welcome to the neighborhood @No the smith !

Pop quiz: Why do you think it could be a doubled die?

Chris

4. No the smith

No the smith New Member

Idk, the words “In God we trust”, Kinda
    Look doubled.

5. No the smith

No the smith New Member

Ps, I’m all new to all of this

6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Looks like a Die Deterioration struck Cent... Then it looks like it spent time in a river because of the way it looks worn. That would be Environmental Damage.

So no. It's not a Doubled Die and not a Mint Error

enamel7, coinsareus10 and yartiques like this.
  7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

@furryfrog02
    I wonder if a search is done which one would show the most threads.. The 1982 Cent or the 1969 S? :rolleyes:

8. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

If I were a betting man I'd have to say 69S...but if it keeps up like it has been, the 82 may take over :)

paddyman98 likes this.
  9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Oh, I'd have to say that it could be any cent that is worth 5c.........CAM....WAM....Small date....Large date....unless someone wants to have it certified. Then it might be worth 10c.

Chris

furryfrog02, yartiques and paddyman98 like this.
  10. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Well, welcome to CoinTalk!

I don't know, it could be one of those 1982 "cast" cents the Mint was experimenting with back then. They decided it "didn't look right" so they scuttled the plan and destroyed all the experimental cents, except for one, which they admitted they let get away during an experiment, where they used it to purchase a pack of gum, to see if it would be accepted by cashiers. The cashier apparently recognized it as a "special" coin, and gave them a nickel back instead. The Mint people were so excited they got over on the cashier, they completely forgot to get their cent back.

So we definitely know that there is one out there somewhere! :happy::happy::happy::happy:

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::wacky::wacky::wacky::wacky::wacky:

Draft saved Draft deleted