1982 "P" Lincoln Cent weighs 3.1

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by William Sheldon, Apr 28, 2019.

1. I understand all the interest in the 1982 D penny that weighs 3.08. If u can find one, then you'll be a few thousand $ richer. I hoarded a bunch of small and large date no mint mark Penny's 1982. One small date attached weighs in at 3.1. Pic is attached. My scale is accurate to .1 explaining the 3.2. What is the value of this one? I'm hearing all Penny's were to be zinc plated and be in the 2.5 range.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. R_rabbit

R_rabbit Well-Known Member

4. R_rabbit

R_rabbit Well-Known Member

:)
    There were used two different metals: Zinc and Copper. Varieties are as follows:
    1982 (Philadelphia) Copper Large date
    1982 (Philadelphia) Copper Small date
    1982 (Philadelphia) Zinc Large date
    1982 (Philadelphia) Zinc Small date
    1982D (Denver) Copper Large date
    1982D (Denver) Zinc Large date
    1982D (Denver) Zinc Small date

5. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

The coin on the scale looks like a Philadelphia coin.
    .01 cent
    Denver made the 1982 small date in zinc only. That's why the
    2 small date 1982-D coppers are so valuable.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    paddyman98 likes this.
  6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

7. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

:mad::troll:

8. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

No.

Remember 1982 was a *transition year*
    where they started with copper cents, and transitioned to copper plated zinc cents. don't get pulled into the false and fake information on youtube and bait click websites. Otherwise @furryfrog02 will show his *fury* .. or Furry fury .. or something like that to dissuade you ... he might just ribbit and hop away ...

Thus, that is why there are 7 business strike varieties
    LARGE DATE Philadelphia
    • 1982 Large Date Copper
    • 1982 Large Date Copper plated Zinc

SMALL DATE Philadelphia
    • 1982 Small Date Copper
    • 1982 Small Date Copper plated Zinc

LARGE DATE “D” - Denver
    • 1982 D Large Date Copper
    • 1982 D Large Date Copper plated Zinc

SMALL DATE “D” - Denver
    • 1982 D Small Date Copper plated Zinc
    • #8 - and the rare 1982-D small date copper (1 or 2 known to exist). This is the one all the fake youtube videos are made for thinking you can find one making it seem they are readily available and easily found.

There is also a 1982-S Large Date which is not included because it is a PROOF.

Copper plated zinc cents weight approximately 2.5 grams
    copper cents weight approximately 3.11 grams
    There an +/- acceptable variation to be added to that too.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    Spark1951, DEA and Stevearino like this.
  9. Michael K

That 1982 proof is probably the last copper proof except for special issues.

10. Rebecca Anschutz

Rebecca Anschutz New Member

ok, Im new to searching and collecting. In the pics posted I have the (what I believe) is the D small date, that only weighs 2.5 so I weighed all of my 82 Ds and pulled out the 82ds weighing above 3, the one I compared it to is similar to the one on the left but without cleaning it, I cant tell the angle of the 2. Can any of you tell?

Attached Files:

11. Michael K

2.5 is the correct weight for a zinc penny. Photos are not clear,
    but they both look like large dates to me. Either way they are worth .01 cent.
    1982-varieties-revised.jpg

12. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Welcome to collecting. As stated they are just large dates. I suggest you start your own unique separate thread next time.

Rebecca Anschutz likes this.
  13. Clawcoins

they both look Large Date.

The lower part of the 2 going to the base has to "swoop" or be convex in it's shape.

If you go through all your pennies you'll find many 1982 small date cents with Philadelphia

14. This post will not be fully displayed until you register or login! It's easy to tell between the 2: with the small date it takes up less space so theres more room between the #2 and the edge of the coin. For the large date, since its larger, there is less space from the end of the #2 to the edge of the coin. This is despite the different looks of the two 2's.

15. Rebecca Anschutz

Rebecca Anschutz New Member

Im sorry, posted a pic of the wrong one. This is the one
    ok, thanks! That's what I thought! I also thought, boy am I lucky, just started and hit a gold mine! lol

Thanks everyone!

Attached Files:

16. Sure. Enjoy numismatics!! Bill

17. Clawcoins

looks like a large date

18. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

If you were actually lucky, I'd suggest you go buy lottery tickets but stay out of thunderstorms.
    More likely to win both powerball and megamilions AND be struck by lightning than find an 82D Smal Date copper.

19. Michael K

While that may be a small date 1982-D, (Post #14) if it is, it is most likely zinc. If it is copper, before you can assume it is a real one, it could be a Chinese fake, it could be an added "D" mm, if it passes those tests, then you'll have to get it authenticated.

20. The pics she has posted are all large date. I literally have about 50 of those. I keep all '82 coins (as well as '72's) in the off chance that another variety is discovered. Got a baggy full of both of them.

21. Michael K

The new photo in post 14 seems to be a small date.
    The pic is a little blurry but it is far from the rim, has the snowman 8 and the delicate 2. A clearer picture would help, but I am seeing small.

Draft saved Draft deleted