1982 Mint Souvenir Set question

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by mikenoodle, Feb 26, 2008.

1. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dready

dready Coin Hoarder

4. Pocket Change

Pocket Change Coin Collector

5. dready

dready Coin Hoarder

6. mikenoodle

basically that says that these are NOT US Mint Issues, whereas the Souvenir Sets are... does anyone else get a different impression?

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

They typically look like this item offered by the same seller - LINK

But the sets are known to have come in different packaging.

8. mikenoodle

Those are the exact sets I have. I was unaware of any other Mint packaged product. Are these (the ones in the auction I listed) assembled post-Mint?

9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

All of the real souvenir sets I have seen have included the bronze mint medal for that mint

10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Now that I have been able to get a closer look at the plastic inserts it is plain to see that this was not issued by the US Mint. It is a made up set packaged and sold by a third party.

11. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

These are what I call the California sets. I believe they were made there but don't remember what led me to believe it. These tend to be excellent sources for '82-P nickels, '82-D quarters, '83-P dimes and halfs as well as '83-D quarters if memory serves. You can also find the '83-D type "d" reverse quarters in them. Overall quality isn't good but the '83 and '84 are OK. I think mintage for the '82 set was probably about 4,000.

Draft saved Draft deleted