1982 LMC DDO

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Mark1971, Feb 26, 2024.

1. Mark1971

Mark1971 Active Member

Found this going through my jar of metal money. Looks like a good match for FS-101. Agree?

IMG_0012.jpeg IMG_0013.jpeg IMG_0014.jpeg IMG_0015.jpeg IMG_0016.jpeg IMG_0009.jpeg IMG_0011.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Coins4Eli

Coins4Eli Collector of Early American Copper

I agree. Nice coin.

BBBeth, SensibleSal66 and Mark1971 like this.
  4. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

5. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

Nice find and condition!! It was one of my first significant DDO finds!

6. Mark1971

Mark1971 Active Member

Thanks! A few years ago I found a 1971 LMC DDO, however it was a bit more worn than this 1982.

Cheech9712 and Kevin Mader like this.
  7. Kevin Mader

Aside from the obvious doubling on this coin, heavy die scratches are an absolute diagnostic. In the Pocket Change thread I’ve posted a few minor DDOs and DDRs. Always hoping to catch a significant DDO like this but also respecting the odds. Still, with enough contributors there/here at CT, it’s bound to happen.

8. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

That’s such a neat first find. Who checks 1982’s right. Nice find

9. Ernesto Pulido

Ernesto Pulido Active Member

What would be the value of a coin like this?

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  10. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Yes, I just looked it up, I think you got it. Fantastic closeups, BTW. Made this easy.

Mark1971 and Cheech9712 like this.
  11. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Here's what www.coppercoins.com calls it. How they arrive at those values, only they know...

upload_2024-4-1_19-57-7.png

Kevin Mader likes this.
  12. Kevin Mader

Browsing Ebay Coins, an MS62 slabbed sold for $46. So, not even half of what Coppercoins suggests. I've always thought of their speculated values (and values posted at other sites) as generous. I think that the parity is probably better as you back down through the circulated grades, but the MS values seem very lofty.

My search for this particular coin dredged up other past auctions for other 'variety' coins. What a disappointment! So many damaged coins promoted (and sold) as a variety coin. Seems the coin world has attracted a large group of fraudsters.

eddiespin likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted