1982 Lincoln Memorial Cent error?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by dave_in_delaware, Mar 19, 2017.

1. dave_in_delaware

dave_in_delaware Active Member

Just curious what everyone thinks about this coin. I'm not really familiar with errors at all.

It looks to me that the entire obverse side is off-center. The reverse seems to be fine.

How does this happen? Was this coin not positioned correctly before being struck? Or was the die off-center?

Thanks for your input and insight.

1-Cent-Lincoln-Memorial-Cent-1982-Ob.jpg 1-Cent-Lincoln-Memorial-Cent-1982-Re.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It is the result of a misaligned die (MAD). If it was an off-center strike, the reverse would be O/C as well.

Chris

tommyc03 likes this.
  4. dave_in_delaware

dave_in_delaware Active Member

Oh, OK. So "misaligned" is only one side being affected, and "off-center" is both sides?

How does this happen? Does this happen to every die over time and constantly needs to be adjusted? Part of routine maintenance and inspection?

Sorry for so many questions. Like I said, I'm not familiar with errors or how/why they even occur.

5. macdaddy76442

macdaddy76442 Member

hello dave,, i am new at coin collecting too,,, i was finding so many of these and thinking wow i have something,,but wat ive learned on here is they just misaligned dies

6. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

When they are REALLY misaligned, then they have value. When they are slightly misaligned (5% or less), it just looks cool.

7. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

It occurs when the obverse and reverse dies are not set properly in the press, they do not quite line up with each other. They could be misaligned when installed, or move out of place during striking. All coins struck would be like yours until the dies are replaced or realigned.

dave_in_delaware likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted