1982 D small date

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Trkdvr, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Trkdvr

Trkdvr Active Member

Found a 1982 D small date LMC. It weights 2.51 grams. Was wondering if it is what they call the transitional penny. I know they made some out of copper and they weigh 3.1 grams. But was curious as to this particular one. I also have a couple small dates that weight 3.1 grams. Any help clarifying this would be helpful.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

They didn't make any 1982-D small date coppers. 1 has been found.
    1982 was a transitional year, they switched from copper to zinc towards the
    end of the year.
    Philadelphia made large dates in copper and zinc. And small dates in copper and
    zinc. Denver made large dates in copper and zinc. But small dates ONLY in zinc.
    Again, 1 was found on copper, perhaps a left over planchet tossed in a bin with a million other zinc blanks. At that stage they look the same.
    There is also a 1982-S proof large date. Copper.
    The coppers weigh 3.1 grams and the zincs weigh 2.5 grams.
    They made 17 billion cents in 1982.
    Except for the 1 rarity the only coins from 1982 that have any value is the proof 1982-S, and almost any coin in MS grade. That being said, the most
    desirable coins from that year are Philadelphia small date copper, and Philadelphia small date zinc. IN VERY HIGH GRADE. The other 17 billion are all worth 1 cent.

paddyman98 likes this.
  4. Trkdvr

Trkdvr Active Member

So if I have a 1982 small date Philadelphia that weighs 3.1 grams it's worth something

5. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Reading comprehension FAIL!

6. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Michael pretty much already explained this, but generally speaking the answer is no. The only real exceptions would be if in perhaps 66/66+ or higher, meaning the chances you're just going to stumble upon one is exceedingly slim.

7. Newbie69

Newbie69 Doesn't make cents!

As BB4C's said Denver ONLY made 82 small dates (swan type 2) w/ D mint mark weighing 2.6 grams. The Billion dollar coin you are tirelessly looking for will weigh 3.1 grams and have the Swan type 2 (Small Date) W/ the D mint mark. Hope this helps as I have been through this with the very knowledgeable poeple such as @BooksB4Coins on CT. Happy Hunting!

8. Noah Finney

Noah Finney Well-Known Member

only worth a penny.

9. Kevin Gorham

Kevin Gorham Member

What would a small date zinc no mint mark(that is phili) be worth in that very high MS condition. I have one from my gpa that he has had since my conception (1982). No mint mark. Small date. 2.51 grams. In a case until my ex just opened it last week. Its been kept back in that case since, but what ever. Why is or would that particular penny be worth anything?

10. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Not much.. Next time start your own unique thread. You always need to also post pictures.

Kevin Gorham likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted