1982 D red copper penny error

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Mayela, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Mayela

Mayela Member

Its Its missing the 1 and most of the 9 What you think

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

a grease filled die or just damage ?

4. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

Looks like a little of both.

5. Mayela

Mayela Member

What your saying is that oil or damage cause numbers not visible would be from the facrory they were made or circulation how do we know for shure

6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

First.. There is definitely damaged on the date..

The rest..
    When the Cent was minted at the Mint Facility (factory) the die that was used was used too many times before it was replaced by a new Die. They would wipe it with an oil to maintain the die. The incused area of the the die would get filled with the oil and after more strikes it would become compacted filling it. This will cause the letters and numbers to look weak when it struck the blank planchet.

How do I or we know for sure.. I have been learning the minting proccess for 34 years now. I even visited the Philadelphia US Mint to see how coins are made.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  7. MontCollector

Welcome to CT!!

well yes and no. now let me explain.

From what it looks like to me is this is a Grease filled die error. This is what caused the 1 not to be present. When cleaning the dies off sometime grease fills the devices on the die. Keep in mind what is raised on a coin is incuse on the die. This error was caused by the MINT (not factory) and yes left the mint this way.

The 9 on the other hand is hard to tell due to the clarity of your photos. This could be part of the Grease filled die error or it may be damage. If it is damaged, this happened AFTER it left the mint and is called Post Mint Damage or PMD for short.

Either way this kind of error is kind of common. Fun to find but has no real value.

I hope that cleared thing up for ya.:)

Mayela and Johndoe2000$ like this.
  8. paddyman98

This is the Mint Facility process

Mayela and Johndoe2000$ like this.
  9. Mayela

Mayela Member

Thank you

10. Mayela

Mayela Member

Huh
    Wow must be nice I feel more comfortable knowing you have so much history with coins very interesting for someone that has a very small amount of coin knowledge but find it fun until I start asking all this questions Lol frustrating everyone sorry and thank you I watched the video I had another image in my mind about the factory

MontCollector and paddyman98 like this.
  11. Mayela

Mayela Member

Thanks you

MontCollector likes this.
  12. paddyman98

You are very welcome.
    Anything else you want to know?

13. Mayela

Mayela Member

I will im still going thru coins I even have Merry Christmas 1990 .999 oz fine sylver coin and a 1998 Ranger pinnacle mint collection baseball coin some Canadian 2 pense coin a 1979 liberty dollar coin two buffalo nickles and 2 liberty dimes

14. Mayela

Mayela Member

And a whole lot of wheat pennies

15. MontCollector

Sounds like quite a variety and a lot of fun to go through. Hope you post some photos of some of your favorites. We love photos!!!:happy:

I believe this is from Great Britain. Unless I am mistaken Canada did not have a two pence coin. I can see how one could make this mistake though as both countries have Queen Elizabeth on the obverse.

There are a lot of members here that are very knowledgeable about Wheat Cents. You should have no problem getting answers on any of these you have.

Here are a couple of websites that may help you with your Wheaties
    http://www.lincolncentresource.com/index.html
    https://coppercoins.com/

Mayela likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted