1982 D Penny??

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by missangb, Nov 11, 2019.

1. mcyp75

mcyp75 New Member

im sorry .I didn't know

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

3.6 is heavy. If your scale is accurate it could be a thicker rolled planchet.
    When you have a copper 82-D it's about 5 billion times more likely that it's a large date. The shape of the 2 is the easy way to tell. The small date will also be further away from the edge, and the small date has more of a snowman shaped 8. It is still an interesting and educational set to collect. Not including the Proof S (Large date only) and the SUPER RARE 1982-D small date copper (2 known) there are 7 coins in the set. 1982 large date Philly copper. 1982 large date Philly zinc. 1982 small date Philly copper. 1982 small date Philly zinc. 1982 large date Denver copper. 1982 large date Denver zinc. 1982 small date Denver zinc.

Study these:
    1982-varieties-revised.jpg 1982small-353x252.jpg large date.jpg

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  4. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

It’s okay, now you do. I didn’t either when I first joined, but I made it a point to learn how to post purty durn quick.

Welcome to Coin Talk!...Spark

5. MatrixMP-9

MatrixMP-9 Well-Known Member

I would find a large and a small and keep them handy as you learn. It nice to be able to look at 2 that you have identified for future comparison (real coins, not just pictures). It can be tough trying to look past damage and/or worn coins at times. After awhile, you wont even need to look, you will just know.

6. mcyp75

mcyp75 New Member

thank you

7. mcyp75

mcyp75 New Member

im sorry if I made a mistake . can anyone pls help me how to do start the thread?

8. Michael K

You click on FORUMS at the top left next to HOME, then go to the appropriately listed forum, then at the middle/top on the right side there is a blue button that says START THREAD.

9. Spark1951

…”post new thread”...I had to look it up again cuz I thought it was “create”...Spark

10. mcyp75

mcyp75 New Member

11. Michael K

I was going off memory. Close enough for rock and roll.

Spark1951 likes this.
  12. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Large

13. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Closed

14. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

FYI, that's a Large Date.

15. Larry Stuckey

Larry Stuckey Member

Pcgs will make that decision cuz

16. Spark1951

@Larry Stuckey ...at least 3 members told you it was a large date. You don’t need PCGS to find out...Spark

17. Michael K

You could light your money on fire also, then at least you can warm your hands for 5 seconds. Good luck.

It's interesting that in 37 years 2 of these coins have been found out of a total Denver mintage of 6 billion. (They don't give separate numbers for large and small date) Small date is probably 1-2 billion.
    And yet Larry is 100% that he has coins #3 and #4.

I mean you could actually compare your coins to the accepted photos that I have shown in post #22. But that's way too much trouble.

18. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

That's OK, it isn't an official rule, it is (1) good manners and (2) since some people are typing answering one question someone else might answer the 2nd and then everyone is confused, :) Welcome to the forum. jim

19. Larry Stuckey

Larry Stuckey Member

Thank Jim for the positive comments

20. Larry Stuckey

Larry Stuckey Member

I think I do, no disrespect,it will be authentic

21. Larry Stuckey

Larry Stuckey Member

Sorry Jim, to bother you again but I have definitely been comparing not only your photos, but the ones listed on NGC

Draft saved Draft deleted