1982 D Lincoln sm date reference points.

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Bargainbidder, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Bargainbidder

Bargainbidder Well-Known Member

Hey everyone, I had this coin up before and was wondering if using letters R and U in Trust is a way of determining if coin is a small or large date?
    1st coin is the discovery coin and line running vertical from from front of the number 1 in date intersects the letter U.
    2nd coin is a large date I have and as you can see the vertical line intersects with the loop in the letter R.
    3rd coin is the one I inquired about a month or so ago. Date had alot of questions as to being small over large or damaged so I put it aside until today and used this reference.
    Am I incorrect? Please be kind if I am and thanks again for your help.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Incharge

Incharge Active Member

Do they weight 3.11 grams.
    233537 has the small date... to me the 1 , 8 and 2 looks like their all in line
    232733 large date, notice the difference in the digit 2 also the 8
    232842 large date, notice the difference in the digit 2 also the 8
    I am no expert.. hope this help's you out..
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    Stevearino and Bargainbidder like this.
  4. Bargainbidder

Thank you for the information, this coin is driving me crazy. These are the pics I posted the first time I inquired and asked if the date appears to have been struck with both large and small date but due to the circulation ware and quality of pics, it was difficult to verify and is why I used the other reference point.

Attached Files:

5. Incharge

Incharge Active Member

yw,, on 221354 and 220848 the date and mint mark look doubled. the 1 8 2 are in line also..

6. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

No, I would say that would not work at all. It is too difficult to accurately line up with the 1. For instance on your large date picture, it looks like your line leans a little to the right. The diagnostics presently used, the shape of the 2, the shape of the upper loop of the 8 and the distance of the date from the rim are already easy to use and pretty much foolproof. I see nothing to indicate that yours is anything except a normal large date.

Stevearino and Bargainbidder like this.
  7. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

The doubling seen appears to be mechanical doubling.

Steve

8. Pete Apple

Pete Apple Well-Known Member

In those instances where the shape of the 2 - which I think is the primary diagnostic - is confusing, then notice the distance of the 2 from the rim. The small date will be further from the rim than the large date and by at least the length of the bottom of the 2. The large date 2 will be closer to the rim and approximately only ½ the length of the base of the 2 from it.

Stevearino likes this.
  9. Bargainbidder

Thanks everyone, rim appears to be worn down inward while the tip of 2 was worn and wasn't sure distance would be accurate and is why I tried using a reference point that wasn't so worn. Oh well it was fun while it lasted waiting for the experts and I appreciate everyone's help.

Draft saved Draft deleted