1982 D dime

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by caristeele, Oct 26, 2018.

1. caristeele

caristeele Member

I found this is my collection, I'm assuming it is because it still is showing such detail after all these years...

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

It's a year with no original uncirculated sets, so it had to have been plucked from the commerce stream at SOME point.

caristeele likes this.
  4. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

It's worth a dime.

caristeele likes this.
  5. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

It appears to be a decent enough XF/ AU. It might bring a couple dollars on eBay but dimes get little enough circulation you can find a nicer one in change with a little patience.

I personally would prefer a nice well made XF but each collector has his own standards.

caristeele likes this.
  6. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

It has a very nice reverse though...

caristeele likes this.
  7. roman99

roman99 Well-Known Member

How would pocket change bring a few dollars on ebay? This coin is by no means in great condition.

8. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

Finding nice attractive '82 and '83 issues is not easy. Some people are in a hurry to complete their sets and would rather pick something up on eBay than hunt for them. Generally they'll pay a little more for an Unc but every collector doesn't have the funds and desire Uncs so there is a market in XF/ AU.

A few years ago there were offers to pay $15 for AU and slider '83-P quarters. These are no longer found in circulation now. There are no active buyers of these to my knowledge but ACE is paying $3 each for AU's.

Many of the sliders have in the past been used to complete date and MM sets sold by many companies. If you look closely most of the '82 and '83 issues in these sets are actually high end AU's. Few realize just how scarce BU coins of these dates are nor do they realize most of the true BU's are ugly enough to be called "PU's".

At this time I doubt the dime in question is worth more than about 30c wholesale but these markets are held back by price guides and no real market exists because there are so few collectors.

Keep in mind that '82-D dimes have been circulating for more than a third of a century. They don't get much circulation but 40% are gone now and almost all the rest are F+ to XF- condition. Most also are pretty rough from going through machines thousands of times. Most were poorly made from worn dies.

It's not apparent but there are large numbers of collectors of these coins collecting the coins from circulation. In the future I'm sure we'll see many other coins from circulation bringing premiums. Try finding a nice attractive well made '69-P quarter in VF if you don't believe it. They made nearly 200 million but only about 80 million survive and few survive above F. Most look pretty ratty because of the way coins circulate now days.

caristeele likes this.
  9. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

It's not nice enough. Even for an 82.
    Sorry. 10 cents.

caristeele likes this.
  10. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

C49DE78C-2B74-40D0-A5C0-CC8EF80A0AEB.jpeg Had trouble finding one myself. Had to fill the hole with one without the more desirable D

Omegaraptor and caristeele like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted