1982 Cent

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Sam Stone, Feb 29, 2020.

1. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Why don’t you take better pictures of the coin in question. Obverse and reverse. Clear. With all the background crap cropped out. A picture with it on the scale would also be nice.

Martha Lynn likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sam Stone

Sam Stone Old, fat, bald, gray, ugly, lazy, and married

I will be very happy to, and I very much appreciate it if you can look at it. Being disabled means it will have to be tomorrow, but I'll get it up as soon as I get back from doctor number 18,495 in the morning. If you guys decide it's only a penny I will be as grateful as ever.

Thank you again and I will do this as soon as possible. How many photos can I post before the forum says cut it out?

4. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

It's not the good one. And there is no melt value for pennies.

Martha Lynn and furryfrog02 like this.
  5. Martha Lynn

Martha Lynn Well-Known Member

With all respect Mr. Stone, I think you are losing your audience. Several people willing to help you have simply asked for a photo of the coin on either of your scales. Time to s--- or get off the pot.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  6. Sam Stone

I'm very sorry and you're absolutely right. I am aware I can be frustrating. I even get tired of me and I have no excuse other than cowardice, which isn't much. I saw your note, grabbed the scale, and between that, the camera, and my phone this is all I can offer you until I can get over to our friend's house. I don't have a car or dollars to get better equipment, but I honestly did the best I could with what I have on hand. This scale rounds to the nearest number, so for comparison I took pictures of the cent in question (1982 D), a 1973 S, and a second 1982 D which I was told is predominantly zinc. I tried taking pictures with my phone, but it isn't working right, either, and of course it will be a while before I can get it replaced. I was wrong about which scale worked best and have no idea how to explain that error to you or to myself. I am so forgetful my wife has to be the keeper of all things important, and I had to text her just to find out where she put the coin.

Again, I want to sincerely apologize for being so unreliable. I can't tell you how much I have hurt me by doing so. I may be ill, but I want to assure you I will not let that prevent me from doing everything I possibly can (honest, considerate, grateful, etc.) to be a positive role model for my kids and grandkids. As anyone gets to know me and finds how embarrassingly unhealthy I have become, I am resolved they will still see integrity until the very last moment God grants me.

As always, I appreciate you all more than I can express without getting my laptop messy. S20200304_0001.jpg S20200304_0006.jpg S20200304_0013.jpg S20200304_0033.jpg S20200304_0038.jpg

7. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Your scale is not accurate to hundredths or even tenths of a gram.
    While this only goes to tenths I have used it for years for coins and precious metals, it is accurate and inexpensive. I might have paid $8 a few years ago on Amazon.
    scale.png

Sam Stone likes this.
  8. Sam Stone

That, I can afford. Thank you for your patience and I'll go look it up right now.

9. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

FYI your "FOOD" scale is only accurate up to about 1.4 grams increments, rounded.
    So 1.4 grams would equate to 1 gram, maybe.
    3.1 will be 2
    2.5 ... may be 2 or 3
    highly unaccurate for small things like coins.

Food scales are good for weighing food portions though.

Sam Stone likes this.
  10. Sam Stone

I'm back (told you I was going to look right away). I saw this thing looking up coin scales. Do you know if it is any good? I was having trouble getting everything focused in the pictures yesterday plus this looks a bit more compact. Your scale is still only about $12, and I'm wanting to get this right. Thanks.

GreaterGoods Digital Pocket Scale, Gram Scale, Ounce Scale, Letter Scale, 750g X .1g Accuracy https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SJTXGN7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_U9syEbMH5702C

11. Sam Stone

I figured so much. In less than 3 or 4 days I literally lost the better scale we have somewhere. Unfortunately, that is normal for me. Many months into this I'm still sorting and resorting every coin whether it's clearly damaged beyond all hope or I already have a dozen more just like it. What I'm saying is I have become so inept at simple things I have to take baby crawls because steps are more than I can handle.

Thank you for the observation. Michael K suggested a specific scale that I can actually afford and I'm going to order something right away.

12. Sam Stone

I'm back, again, but already semi drugged so I'll try to be quick. I didn't realize how compact Michael K's scale was. I'm going to order it right now, so if anyone thinks it's not the right one I think I have a few hours to cancel and get something different. Thank you everyone for helping me feel less like a pariah.

I need to ask a question: how do I reference someone in a post that shows the hash tags? I don't do social media, but I see these things in news articles all the time. Do I just type it that way or is there something else? I want to make sure anyone trying to help gets all the credit they deserve, or does it even work that way?

Geez, I talk too much.....

13. Sam Stone

Here it is. Exactly what we all must have expected, but thanks to everyone's patience and guidance I have had an important opportunity to do better. I always read responses to my posts, try as many suggestions as I can, and genuinely appreciate the time being donated to help. In this case, I knew better than to think I had a one in a monsterzillion coin, but if it had been I would honestly come straight here and found something I could do to repay your help.

Thank you all, and once again, please accept my apology for being so slow. I will admit I had hoped for a miracle but somewhere in my spaghetti shaped brane I didn't want to face the reality of possibility vs. reality. But hey, I got a new scale my wife can use to cook while watching British shows that use this kind of measurements instead of teaspoons and tablespoons!!

Best wishes to all, and thanks.
    S20200306_0008.jpg S20200306_0011.jpg S20200306_0013.jpg

14. Brandi Wilson

Brandi Wilson ... a kid at heart

I'm confused I thought I was supposed to be weighting 1983 pennies? Am I supposed to be weighting 1982?

15. Martha Lynn

Let's give it a go to untangle this for you.
    Some 82's will weigh 2.5 g. Some 82's
    will weigh 3.1 g. because of a mid year
    transition in the metallic make up of the
    planchet. If you find a 1982 D with the
    small date that weighs 3.1 g. , then you have
    the valuable one. So to save your self some
    effort, Skip weighing any 1982 if it does not
    have a small date plus a D mm.
    Now let's go to the issue of 83's to answer your question.
    I weigh the 83's because who knows, I may find one
    that weighs 3.1 g. . Here is the key , the 83's are
    supposed to weigh 2.5 g. . Who is to say an 82
    planchet didn't find its way onto the 83 line being fed into
    the presses?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
    Sam Stone likes this.
  16. Brandi Wilson

Oh ok thanks! Yeah I gotta ya

17. Martha Lynn

Great. I know there are a lot of moving parts
    to that answer.....martha

Sam Stone likes this.
  18. Martha Lynn

Brandi. Please go back and reread my answer.
    I edited after you read it. My edit should clear you up on the 83's ….

Sam Stone likes this.
  19. Brandi Wilson

There's a lot of moving parts with a lot of things related to coins in general I've found out. But I'm picking it up I believe.

Sam Stone likes this.
  20. Martha Lynn

I know what you mean. I'm barely out of newbie school . Good luck, happy hunting

Sam Stone likes this.
  21. Brandi Wilson

Yeah I'm glad I haven't been weighting my 83s for nothing . :nailbiting: My powers out now again and I can do nothing but shop and talk unfortunately. No coin roll hunting. I guess I going to have to buy a generator. I'm freezing cold.

Sam Stone likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted