1982 Cent

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Sam Stone, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Sam Stone

Sam Stone Old, fat, bald, gray, ugly, lazy, and married

I'm so brane ded I'm not sure if this is a Chihuahua or Doberman sitting in my lap anymore. What I do know is not to get overly excited over anything, so I want to ask you guys. The picture is two cents I found rummaging through the bucket of cents we've collected. Clearly one is large and one is small date. However, I have confused myself again trying to figure out if the small date is zinc (probably, right?), copper (woo-hoo!), or sun baked jello. When we found it a couple of nights ago I weighed it and it came out a frog's hair over 3 grams. So I threw that scale away and yesterday I went to find our other one. This time is was only half a frog's hair over 3 gm. It just doesn't look copper to my inexperienced eye, I can't really tell any difference between the large date that I know is zinc, and it has the cud (I think) line to the left of Abe. So to make sure I'm assessing this correctly, I need help, all of which would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Martha Lynn

Martha Lynn Well-Known Member

The penny on top your pic is the small date. 1982_LG-SM_date_zinc_cents_HA_1.jpg 1982_LG-SM_date_zinc_cents_HA_1.jpg If it weighs in at 3.some thing g. .Hire
    yourself an armored car and driver and head to Stacksbowers auction house right now.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    Sam Stone likes this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

If the dog licks your face without standing up, it's a Dobie. ~ Chris
    Super Duper Pooper Scooper.png

Sam Stone likes this.
  5. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

What is the name brand, make and model of scale you are using ?

I'm guessing it only does whole grams

Sam Stone likes this.
  6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Hey @furryfrog02

How much does one of your hairs weigh? o_O

Sam Stone likes this.
  7. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Joke’s on you, I am nearly bald :p

8. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

so............not too much? :)

Sam Stone and furryfrog02 like this.
  9. Sam Stone

It weighed a tiny bit more than 3 gm. on each scale and the other one weighed closer to 2.5. I don't have an awful lot of faith in the scales we have, so I'm going to either have to buy a new one or take the 2 cents to someone we know who can weigh atoms. Isn't there a 3rd 1982 cent besides the two we have? I thought I read somewhere there's the copper clad, a "zincoln" (there's no way I'm getting this terminology correct, I'm still learning my own initials), and something else. I had 3 stoopid ER visits in the last year and a half, so I never have luck on my side. But, my ever understanding wife works in retail and someone recently paid for whatever they bought with coins only including a bunch of Kennedy halves, Eisenhower dollars, Canadian proofs(?), and other interesting stuph that we think was probably their grandpa's collection. She paid the store for the coins and brought them home to figure out. Maybe someone knew what they had until the patients took over the asylum, but don't count on it considering my lousy relationship with good fortune. Thank you for the encouragement, though, and I'll let you know as soon as I can.

10. Sam Stone

Still not sure it wasn't the neighbor's cat. It's not the prettiest kitty I've ever seen and it can be hard to tell the difference if I don't have my glasses on.

11. Sam Stone

12. Sam Stone

My hairs weigh white. As in old. White and old. I'm going to be as authentic as possible this Christmas as Santa, but thanks for playing.

Really, thanks.

13. Sam Stone

But your wife still thinks you're Tom Selleck's better looking and younger brother, right?

14. Sam Stone

I did this wrong. Sorry.

15. furryfrog02

Definitely not. Perhaps when she married me. By now I think she fees like she was duped by false advertising :)

Sam Stone and paddyman98 like this.
  16. Martha Lynn

We have a problem Houston. Signal is coming in scrambled. Trying to demodulate and reassemble . Did you toss both scales ?

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    Sam Stone likes this.
  17. Sam Stone

I can't afford to throw Christmas candy from three years ago away. We have 2 scales. One is flat bed and digital (supposedly the better of the two), and one upright, 'analog'. However, I just found out I made an unrelated, horrible mistake regarding the collection my father in law, a twenty year navy man, gave our son which has to take precedence. He gave it to our son two years ago, and we put it in the closet, and lost the disk with the details so it hasn't been touched since.

We just found the many, many spreadsheets and I'm unbelievably ashamed of myself for not being as grateful as I should have been. Our son is 19 and already a much greater person than I could ever hope to be. But I got put on disability and he has had to go to work to pay his own college. Between work, homework, and 15 credit hours at school he barely sees his friends with what little time he has left and coin collecting isn't on his radar right now. I started looking at collecting a few months ago for the wrong reasons (boredom and poverty) when I should have been spending time trying to understand what his grandfather gave him first. There's 7,041 coins from 185 countries, territories, etc. dating to the 1700's. There's 5 and 10 dollar gold pieces from the 1880's, and so much more that I want to go running out in front of the first truck that comes by.

I really, really, really feel terrible that I have been so derelict as a father and son in law, but I owe you an answer for taking the time and interest in helping.

I'm going to go pull our son's coins out and find them a more respectful place of honor before I worry about whatever I may or may not have. For all I know, every coin my son and I have cumulatively may be the least valuable possible, but I'm not so sure and I won't be disappointed if that's the case.

I will still answer everything as soon as I can, and in the meantime I would be happy to send anyone interested the spreadsheet that details/totals coins from each country with dates in the collection. In fact, I definitely need input if anyone is willing to offer any. I've only been thinking about collecting a few months and if not for the kindness in this forum I may have decided to do something else already, and I absolutely would not have gotten curious enough to go looking for those spreadsheets a little while ago. Another reason to be grateful.

Thank you again. I appreciate your time and interest.

18. Martha Lynn

Hope things get better for you real soon Mr. Stone. Do you still have the scales ? It seems to
    me if both of those scales came that close in their
    respective readings on the same object, then they
    must be working properly. If you still have them
    can you recalibrate them ?

19. Sam Stone

You're so kind, but everything always works out the way God planned so there's never much to worry about Yes, the digital scales are recalibraterizable (just made up a word) and we did that. My wife sprang a surprise visit from our daughter today so I'll be with them the rest of the day, but I promised you an answer. Here is a picture of the digital scales. I found they're made by multiple manufacturers and some with slightly different specs. BTW, when we weighed the coins we did it two different ways. Once with the coins alone on the bed, then with a small holding cup calibrated to start at 0 with the aweight. I don't know if collectors do this, but we used it in business.

Wishing everyone the best day ever.
    Sam IMG_20200301_102125136_HDR.jpg

Martha Lynn likes this.
  20. furryfrog02

Use a new nickel to calibrate it. Should be 5 grams.

Sam Stone and Martha Lynn like this.
  21. Sam Stone

If this coin turns out to be the "good" one it's worth more than melt value, right? I'm such a dork I'm afraid to take it and have it weighed. It turned out the same this morning as before when I weighed it against a new nickel as suggested by a nice gentleman yesterday. So I put it up and went to a doctor's appointment. I have so many doctors they take turns seeing which one can mess with me the most. I woke up early from my last surgery and heard one of them saying "No way. It's your turn to tell the family." After hearing that I didn't open my eyes so they never knew. Now I'm not even sure I remember where I put the stoopid coin. Maybe I should just give it to one of you guys and if it's worth anything I'll get a pat on the back in return?

Can I legally call myself a wuss in this forum? If not, that wasn't me that just typed the word in the last sentence.

Draft saved Draft deleted