1981s SBA Type 1 or 2?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Cheezit17, Sep 10, 2022.

?

Type 1 or 2?

1. Type 1

2. Type 2

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Cheezit17

Cheezit17 Member

I found this a while back going through some random small dollars (yes, I did find this in the wild) somebody wanted me to look at. I know it’s a proof, and an impaired one at that, but I would like to know if it is type one or two. Thanks to everyone in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

4. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

I agree with @CoinCorgi that it appears to be a wide border (near date) but I posit that the proof version dies were all type 2. I have not heard of or read any info about any different dies being used for the proofs.

I commend you as well…very well composed post…Spark

Randy Abercrombie and Cheezit17 like this.
  5. rte

rte Well-Known Member

I don't know.
    I'm almost leaning towards the type 1.
    The type 2 is a slightly different stylized S I thought...more pronounced clearer.
    Maybe a better picture.

Cheezit17 likes this.
  6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

7. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I was under the impression that the rim issue only applied to the 1979 coins.

Spark1951, Cheezit17 and paddyman98 like this.
  8. Cheezit17

Cheezit17 Member

I’m sorry, reading what I wrote does make it look like a rim issue question. I was asking if the mintmark was a type 1 or 2. Here are some more pictures.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2022
    Inspector43 likes this.
  9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Can’t tell from your photos. Type 1 is flat and and Type 2 is rounded. Notice the tips of the S.

Cheezit17 likes this.
  10. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

The mintmark types for this series of coins can get confusing. At some point in 1979, the mintmark was changed from the original to a new mintmark creating a Type 2. Then in 1981, the 1979 Type 2 mintmark was used originally and then changed. The 1981 Type 1 is actually the 1979 type 2. The 1981 Type 2 is a different mintmark than the 1979 Type 2.

11. Cheezit17

Cheezit17 Member

Ok, thank y’all!

Draft saved Draft deleted