1981p Half Dollar worth getting graded?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by MB91, Dec 8, 2018.

1. MB91

MB91 Member

Should I spend the money to get it graded? 9130C295-F55D-41CC-A7C5-53207BDBA724.jpeg 06E1C3D2-DF5C-498A-86F7-DEBFAF52D383.jpeg 8FA47090-2AD8-4BC9-A58A-80097FC7316D.jpeg 6C871FB7-F7EE-4903-90EF-7394AD8A7516.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

How much is it worth? How much will it be worth after getting graded?
    Grading fees, return postage, insurance I am told can run $30.
    While it is a nice coin, there's really no reason to put another $30 into it.
    You can encapsulate it yourself, or just use a 2x2 coin flip.

4. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Certainly is a nice half. I agree fully with @Michael K. An 81-P is a common date. Certainly protect the half with an inexpensive flip or something similar. But don’t go through the expense of grading unless the half holds some personal significance to you.

5. The PCGS price app says that coin would need to grade MS67 to be worth grading (goes from 90 in 66 to $425 in 67). They sell for much less than guide typically.

Your example is nice, but I do not believe it would not make a 67. You example is nice, but I would not spend money slabbing it.

Matt

MB91 and Inspector43 like this.
  6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

One of the nicest Kennedy's I've seen raw in a long time. It's a common date and I don't think it would grade high enough to cover the grading cost.

Protect it yourself. Several options are available.

7. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Well what would this coin grade? It's hard to tell from the photos. At least 65.

8. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

I like that part. A good chunk of this whole hobby is turning a profit with grading (and it's ok. I get it) but i also encourage what you just said. If it has some personal significance to you, why not? It's $30 to protect it in just about the best way that you can. I do realize that this can be accomplished with some cheaper do it yourself slabbing but you don't' get a professional opinion on the grade. Good call out @Randy Abercrombie !

MB91, Nyatii and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  9. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

Coins like your 81 do justice in the Dansco Album for occasional viewing.

MB91 likes this.
  10. MB91

MB91 Member

Thanks everyone!

Draft saved Draft deleted