1981 strike penny with no mint mark

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Snowbird73, Aug 16, 2017.

?

value for a no mint mark 1981 strike penny

Poll closed Aug 23, 2017.
  1. 1981 no mint mark penny

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 1981 no mint mark striked penny

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

The 1981 and 1982 are worth one cent each.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

About 1 cent, for both.

4. David wolfe

David wolfe New Member

I have a 1982 D small date that is 3.1g on a scale .. I also have a 1982 that is 2.5g .. ant the 1982 d small date 3.1g the one that worth money?? and Thank you for getting back to me..

5. V. Kurt Bellman

There are three binary factors in 1982 cents in circulation, which would normally mean 8 outcomes - 2x2x2=8. (mint mark, small or large, metal)
    But there are only 7 combinations that are widely known. There is believed to be only ONE example of that eighth combination. The rare/impossible combo is:
    DENVER, SMALL DATE, BRONZE

Now why? Because the Denver Mint had already stopped using bronze planchets before the small date dies arrived from Philadelphia. Couldn't a shipment get mixed up? No, because mints punched out their own bronze blanks in-house from roll stock, and zinc blanks arrive already pre-punched out.

If you "have one", you have EITHER a heavy zinc coin, or it is NOT a small date. (Or you misweighed it - the weight is not the big thing, the metallic composition is. A supposed Denver small date that is heavy ONLY means it needs further study, not that it is a "hit".)

Now, let's talk probability for a moment. The mintage of 1982-D cents is a few million over 6 billion, and ONE SD bronze has been found. Imagine how unlikely it is you have the second one, found by no one else over 36 years. C'mon, my man, think. I guess you buy Powerball tickets regularly, huh?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  6. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

First of all welcome to coin talk. It is always best to start a new thread rather than jumping onto another. That way more people will see your question.

You are correct, the 1982-D Copper small date is the rare one. How rare is it? Denver minted over 6 Billion (with a B) cents in 1982. For 36 years, collectors have been searching for this coin. To date, only 1 has been found. 1 out of 6 billion. The probability of winning the Powerball is only 1 in 292 million. Sorry, but you have a large date. if you think you that you are unbelievably lucky, have already compared the date on your coin to the LD and SD examples on the web and are certain that the 2 in the date is the small date example (the difference is obvious), then post a picture that clearly shows the dat in a new post

7. V. Kurt Bellman

Is there an echo in here? Jus' sayin'.

8. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

I didn't bother to read your entire post. OMG, I'm sounding just like you (hangs head in shame :(). Next thing you know, I'll be on the moderators' watch list :facepalm:

Just giving you a hard time, to cover for my embarrassment of not reading the post ;)

9. V. Kurt Bellman

No prob. I take it all as a huge compliment.

10. David wolfe

David wolfe New Member

11. David wolfe

David wolfe New Member

1522185345648312279079.jpg

12. David wolfe

David wolfe New Member

Attached Files:

13. David wolfe

David wolfe New Member

Attached Files:

14. David wolfe

David wolfe New Member

Is this a small date?? Or a large date?? From what I think it's a small but I'm not sure.. I do thank you for any help and for getting back to me ..

15. V. Kurt Bellman

The big picture is a large date. On the small date, the "2" is still almost a FULL digit width away from the raised rim at the bottom of the 2, while the large date is about half a digit away.

David wolfe likes this.
  16. newport7500

newport7500 New Member

Has anybody seen the 1981penny with the date squiggle or damaged

17. newport7500

newport7500 New Member

Has anybody seen the 1981penny with the date squiggle or damaged
    Has anybody seen a 1981 with the date with the first three numbers melted looking

18. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Sure.. That means it is damaged!

19. AnonymousCoinCollector

AnonymousCoinCollector Reintroduce silver coins to circulation!

edited

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted