1981 Steel or Magnetic Penny

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by moneypenny, Jan 20, 2008.

1. girldly

girldly Girldly

Look up the Red book definition of counterfeit.....end your pain now....

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. girldly

girldly Girldly

Thanks

4. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

The "Red Book" is not a dictionary. I would have no idea of where to look for such a definition. Any letter sent to you from any grading company is not secret information. If you have one, scan it and post it.

5. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

:rolleyes: Does this: :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: look like this: :hurting:? I'm not in pain at all. I'm laughing my butt off at the two of you who think they have a special coin after the TPGS declared it was either altered or counterfeit.

Good luck to you both. I hope you are able to prove the TPGS is wrong.:yawn:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  6. girldly

girldly Girldly

I believe to contest this decision is the right thing to do. As I said, if they define "Counterfeit" as a person at the mint making a penny out of nickel as a personal gain for that employee, that is a cop out. They just do not want people to benefit from an error.

7. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

That's a new one I haven't heard before.....

8. Kentucky

Of course you haven't, it was just........................wait for it........................wait for it...........................................................................................coined. :)

9. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

"Results", good or bad, are posted here regularly. "Results" in the form of "professional" opinions are what TPGs give; post away....

10. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

Or.......wait for it.......................wait for it..................................................crazy :p

Kentucky likes this.
  11. Insider

Just a little history. I learned from a former
    ANACS authenticator that back in the 1970 the policy on certification was this: If an error coin could not possibly have been made without the "help" of man, it was not eligible for certification. Therefore, a dime struck on a nail was BS. Things have changed at the TPGS. Today, such things as gold Indian cent, Counterfeit "Micro O" dollars, Canadian coins struck on a US quarter, etc. are considered acceptable for certification.

12. girldly

girldly Girldly

When did this change? I sent my nickel 1972 penny in to both the big grading companies, and received the notice: counterfeit, yet, it is a U.S. Penny. How can they make that work - yes its a penny, but as far as rating it, its counterfeit....
    Who knows if mans hand was in on this? Were the grading companies there? Why is it made of Nickel? I don't know, but I have to contest their findings...its just not fair.

13. BooksB4Coins

Why not just present your argument here first and in its own thread? Instead of continuing to talk about this coin in different threads, post quality photos of it along with whatever the TPG said/sent you, and be willing to post whatever else is asked of you. Something tells me there's a fairly straightforward explanation for this if you're actually willing to listen to reason.

Kentucky likes this.
  14. girldly

girldly Girldly

Another question: If I have a 1943 Wheat Copper Penny, will both grading companies call it counterfeit since 'Mans Hand" was used to leave the blank copper cents in the machine?

15. girldly

girldly Girldly

I use PCGS AND NGC....are you positive I can post their finding? I will do that then we can have this open discussion...Maybe I should contact a monitor to be sure....?

16. girldly

girldly Girldly

I will always listen to reason. I am a reasonable, intelligent person...who accepts the facts. Trust me on that.

17. girldly

girldly Girldly

I wrote the moderator to be sure...

18. BooksB4Coins

Of course... just look at this very forum; how often do you see submission results, good or bad, posted here? When submitting you're paying them for the result of their supposed "professional opinion".... Had the coin turned out as you had hoped, would you have hesitated to post the result? I doubt it, so why now; because it's negative? What a world it would be (and sometimes I think we're well on our way) if only only the positive could be shared and any negative had to be kept under wraps. Please, post away...

19. Kentucky

YES, YOU CAN SAFELY POST ANY COMMUNICATION YOU HAD WITH THEM WITHOUT ANY LEGAL REPECUSSIONS.

20. Insider

For your coin to be genuine, the mint would need to have been striking coins, tokens, or medals with that composition in 1981. It's like what happened when the 1943 copper cents were struck. The theory is that copper planchets were laying around, stuck in machinery or in the hoppers when 1943 cents were being struck. Some got into production. That is not the same thing as a press operator playing around with washers, nails, or steel blanks.
    Same thing happened in 1944 with the change back to copper. That's were the 1944 steel cents come from.

As far as I'm concerned, the top two grading services said your 1981 coin was counterfeit. Besides it being "steel," it may not have the strike and details as a normal authentic cent. I find it hard to believe that a TPGS told you your coin was a genuine cent yet would not slab it.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  21. girldly

girldly Girldly

I am not afraid of it being negative. That was done around 2 years ago. We have no option but to accept their findings. However, I did write the Monitor of Coin Talk to be sure I can't get in legal problems by scanning their finding and putting this site. I await their decision.

My coin is the 1972 D Cent, Made of Nickel, (mostly) which gave it the magnetic property. I believe people are confusing me with the recent person asking about a cent from the 80's. Since I am not a "Newbie" any longer, I do wish to abide by the rules. As soon as I get the ok, I will post the findings of the grading companies. Nan

Draft saved Draft deleted