1981 Steel or Magnetic Penny

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by moneypenny, Jan 20, 2008.

1. micheldura2

micheldura2 Senior Member

chiming in too..

Bill,
    I suppose you must be right..it only makes sense...that the coating would have some magnetic qualities. It is kind of interesting..

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. combatsquirrel

combatsquirrel Junior Member

Maybe a dumb question, but isn't chrome magnetic?

4. combatsquirrel

combatsquirrel Junior Member

Just one more thought relating to plating. I had a friend that plated jewelry, and some metals/metal sandwiches don't plate well. I suspect Zinc doesn't plate, hence the use of 1981 (copper) cents.

5. Kyle

Kyle New Member

i have one too and would just like to know how much i can get for it.
    the same 1981 steel penny, no mint. i think it might be too light to be steel or nickle though.
    maybe some kind of mix witch would explain why it's only slightly magnetic.

6. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Why don't you just offer it for sale and let us know what you get for it?

Just a tip. When describing it, as such, remember, pickle/nickel.

Oh, and which/witch.

Hey, good luck! :thumb:

7. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

This is interesting. Hopefully, we can get some answers

8. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

In all likelihood...it was been plated with something resulting the color and the fact that it's only slightly magnetic. The coin would only be worth face value. If you post a photo, it will give us a better idea.

9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Nickel is NOT weakly magnetic it is strongly magnetic. There are three elements that are magnetic at room temperature, Iron, Nickel, and Cobalt. All of these are strongly magnetic. Your nickel plated cent is weakly magnetic because there is actually very little nickel present.

That is correct. Often to improve the platings a base layer of nickel is plated on because it tends to adhere to other materials well and provides a good bond between the base material and the final plating metal.

No it isn't, but since it often doesn't stick well to other metals they normally plate it over a base plating layer of Nickel.

10. Sanjeev Suri

Sanjeev Suri New Member

Can you not write to the USA equivalent of "Reserve Bank of India" and
    ask them to reveal the "INFORMATION" about 1981* experiments done
    towards creating a NEW "One Cent" coin ?

Here, we can ask using the RTI - Right To Information; it is included in
    the Indian Constitution since 2005

11. sgt23

sgt23 Active Member

This would be done in shop class now days. High school science class don't do plating and such anymore.

12. girldly

girldly Girldly

WE SENT IN OUR PENNY TO BE GRADED!!! WE NEED TO KNOW IF MY HUSBANDS "MILK BOX" KEPT PENNY IS VALUABLE? or AN EXPERIEMENT? The year is 1972 D - it is magnetic...weight 3.11. Pewter/Tin/color, not shiny. Thanks to all who assisted me with this coin my husband kept in his milk box the past 4 decades (close anyway)plus years....from when he was a boy. It is on its way to be graded now...and to have the elements its made of determined.
    I've met some kind people on this site, and I wish to thank all of you for helping us
    with his special penny. We are grateful for your advice. When we know, you will know. Girldly

13. Kimberly Miller

Kimberly Miller New Member

Did you ever get any information on the 1981 shiny silver penny? I found one today- same year, very shiny- and am very curious about it. I'd love to hear what you found out!
    Thanks,
    Kimberly

14. girldly

girldly Girldly

Kimberly,
    Everyone thought my coin was coated/dipped/etc...however, when it was sent to both of the BIG GRADING COMPANIES, I was informed that even tho they determined my coin to be over 80 percent silver, with copper, and nickel (making it magnetic) and other elements. They referred me to the RED BOOK (coin bible), these grading companies say that a person at the mint did this intentionally to make money....or gain. That is not word for word, but the basic jest of the response. Now, I was baffled by that. Here I have a coin, unlike any other penny, and both grading companies deny a grade on it. Sad, but true.
    My thinking was this, we live in the Midwest, my husband, a boy of 7 or 8 at the time got this coin in his lunch money. Now, how or why would a mint employee do this for his own personal gain? Makes no sense. Neither does that rule. When I have time, I will contact members who make these determinations and challenge this. It is silly.
    I wish you more luck than we had.

Kentucky likes this.
  15. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Sounds incredibly frustrating. Exactly what did the companies say? Do you have the letters you could scan in? There are plenty of dealers on CT and some that might have connections at grading companies (@Insider) and perhaps you could send it to one of them and they could help you.

16. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

I cannot find any mention of these "intentionally made" coins in the Red Book. Did the grading company write this or tell you on the phone? Perhaps you piece is struck on a foreign planchet BUT I should think the BIG two TPGS's should have know this.

17. girldly

girldly Girldly

Kim,
    Look up my thread on here. I hoped my 1972 shiny silver penny was real. Sent it to the 2 top companies, they said it's a real us mint cent, 86 (I'm guessing, it's been a while) percent nickel....but declared it Counterfeit. It's not an appropriate decision....which I plan to challenge when I have time.
    Look in the Red US COIN bible at the definition....u will be shocked too...
    It's not coated...it's a rare magnetic US penny, read the definition and get back to me. Nancy

18. girldly

girldly Girldly

Kim, I don't know the legalities of posting the results in a public forum, but what I have told you is accurate. Please read the definition.....in the Red book of the word Counterfeit. It's not what you would think their assessment should be labeled. In my opinion, it is an Error coin....trust me. I have been there, done that. Many CT people showed an interest....most said it was going to be found Coated/dipped. That is not the case, it's nearly all nickel....they admit it is a real US cent. But, counterfeit means it was made intentionally for personal gain., by a worker at the Denver mint....if that's true then why did it land in the Midwest by a kid...where are they in the personal gain? See the problematic answer....unacceptable to us.

19. girldly

girldly Girldly

20. girldly

girldly Girldly

Sorry, I mean nickel, it's mostly nickel.

21. girldly

girldly Girldly

Find forum regarding a 1972 silver cent

Draft saved Draft deleted