1981 SBA Proof, type 1 or 2?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Garlicus, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Garlicus

Garlicus Debt is dumb, cash is king.

image.jpeg Best picture I can get :(

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I say type 1 mms 002

4. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

That is a Type 1. The easiest way to tell is that the loops on the Type 1 are the same size. One of the loops (supposed to be the top one, but it gets inverted) is larger than the other on Type 2.

jester3681 and Garlicus like this.
  5. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

1981 Type 1.jpg 1981-S Type 1

It exhibits smaller rounded serifs and more oval shaped center loops than found on the Ty-2. It may come with or without clear fields or "attachments" within the center loops depending on the amount of punching pressure utilized to sink the image into the die and/or the amount of polishing the die receives. This is the more common variety for the year.

1981 type 2.jpg 1981-S Type 2
    It exhibits large bulbous serifs and rounder center loops than found on the Ty-1. In spite of the fact that this variety is frequently and inaccurately referred to as "Clear S", it may come with or without clear fields or "attachments" within the center loops depending on the amount of punching pressure utilized to sink the image into the die and/or the amount of polishing the die receives. It does, however, have a greater tendency to be found with "clearer fields" within the loops than the Ty-1 but this is not a determining factor of type.

tommyc03 likes this.
  6. Garlicus

Thank you for the responses, figured as much but had to be hopeful.
    Still, not bad for free.

mikenoodle likes this.
  7. Garlicus

I looked at this exact site, but was still unsure due to what I perceived as more rounded fields.

8. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

Was my note about the size of the loops helpful?

9. Garlicus

Yes it was. Thank you.

mikenoodle likes this.
  10. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Yes, thanks :happy: although @Michael K's post with photos was extremely helpful. One NGC finalizer told me the top surface of the Type 2 "S" is flat, while the top surface of the "S" on the Type 1 comes more to a rounded point. I have not confirmed this for myself but MK's photos look that way. :D

11. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

All 81 TY 2 mint marks from the cent to the dollar are flat and frosty.

Insider likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted