1981 s over d mintmark and extras

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Steve333, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Steve333

Steve333 Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Lol

4. Steve333

Steve333 Member

I was actually thinking it could be stage one s maybe?

5. Diogenes Diaz

Diogenes Diaz Active Member

Do what I do when I run across a coin like that I concentrate on the year and try to find another--This game is about discovering

Steve333 likes this.
  6. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

You can easily see how the D has been damaged from a hit on the top and right side. What appears as an S is actually metal displacement from the hit. Copper is a relatively soft metal and it's not unusual to see it pushed around by an impact.

Instead of focusing on "that must be an S", try to explain the appearance of the D and how that could occur during the die production process. The short answer is it cannot occur like that.

Hope this helps

Stevearino and Steve333 like this.
  7. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

It's time to listen to the members and accept the fact your coin is PMD.

8. Steve333

Steve333 Member

Thanks Robert. And everyone else for welcoming me. I have a 1970/1941 quarter I will be posting about next.

Robert Ransom likes this.
  9. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I know there are a lot of experts out there, but I, for one, believe that it is possibly an s/d mintmark. The only way to disprove it for everyone's satisfaction would be to send the coin to a TPG (NGC or PCGS) and find out without doubt!

Steve333 likes this.
  10. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

That's always one way to prove a point, yet we have new to collecting folks all the time come here thinking that the have a new discovery. Which is better Jim, learn the ropes of collecting and Variety hunting and be able to make a good decision on what to get attributed? Or spend good money on uneducated knowledge?
    Steve has the coin in hand, part of the job of an experienced collector is to give good advice and help lead them in the right direction. I think he has gotten that. Hopefully he sticks around and learns to throw good money at coins that are actually can be attributed. Cause the TPG's are more than willing to just take his money and run.

11. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

It's worth a cent.

Steve

Collecting Nut and Steve333 like this.
  12. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

And that's all it's worth.

Stevearino and Steve333 like this.
  13. Steve333

Steve333 Member

Thank you guys. It's all beat up anyway. I'll find something better to ask about. I am new to collecting so just thought it was unusual

14. Sidney Osborne

Sidney Osborne Well-Known Member

Great talking points, as usual, I'm always learning something here....

Kentucky and Steve333 like this.
  15. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

Thanks, @Steve333, for only challenging the more knowledgeable folks on CT a little bit. As a newer member, you have separated yourself from the many new members who will never "say uncle." When you get a consensus on CT you can generally take it to the bank.

Steve

Steve333 likes this.
  16. Steve333

Steve333 Member

And thank you as well! I appreciate that sir

Stevearino likes this.
  17. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Based on your past history, that doesn't sound like a very good idea, either. I believe I told you before that you need to learn more about how dies and coins are made before you start looking for errors. ~ Chris

18. Steve333

Steve333 Member

I am learning..have a long way to go but I am enjoying it

19. cpm9ball

As many times that this has been suggested to other "disbelievers", I don't think I can ever recall anyone coming back to tell us they were wrong. It's just not in their DNA. ~ Chris

Stevearino likes this.
  20. cpm9ball

I always try to support someone who wants to learn. The problem with DD is that he wants to give advice when he doesn't know the correct answer, himself. ~ Chris

21. Steve333

Steve333 Member

. Thanks. I'm just gonna throw it in the penny jar

Draft saved Draft deleted