1981 S 5 cent

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Cazador, Aug 12, 2021.

1. Cazador

Cazador Supporter! Supporter

This is the second proof coin found in circulation this month thought I would share it with you guys upload_2021-8-12_22-4-37.jpeg upload_2021-8-12_22-4-37.jpeg

capthank, dlts, Dynoking and 8 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Cazador likes this.
  4. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

5. DEA

DEA Well-Known Member

Wow! Great find! East Coast? West Coast? Middle Earth? Ahhh . . I see Florida.

Do you know the difference between a Type 1 and a Type 2 - which Numista distinguishes here https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces44.html - but provides no specifics? I don't. Help?

Cazador likes this.
  6. Cazador

you lost me !!! i will check out the site you sent me.

7. Lem E

Lem E Well-Known Member

I believe the difference is the mintmark. The mintmark was changed toward the end of the run in 1981 for the proof sets. Actually all 6 coins in the set have a type 1 and type 2 coin. Type 2s are a bit more scarce. The type 2 mintmark is referred to as a “clear S” and looks a bit more flat with more pronounced serifs. Not all Type 2 proof sets contained all 6 coins with the newer mintmark. I believe the SBA dollar is the more sought after coin in the set.

DEA and Cazador like this.
  8. Dean 295

Dean 295 D.O.M.

Very nice coin, When I was working I was at the NYS Bridge Authority, found not a lot but a nice selection of proof coins I never knew what I would find.

Cazador likes this.
  9. Cazador

Maiden Rules

Lem E likes this.
  10. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I read a post a day or two ago from a disheartened modern Proof set mint site buyer who wrote that he was busting up his sets and spending the coins because the prices were so low. Perhaps you are in his area.

Many years ago when had a booth at a Summer FUN Show, I got a modern Proof quarter in change. I also bought a 1954 Proof quarter in a lot of junk silver at one time. It was good enough to package up and sell as a Proof single.

Cazador likes this.
  11. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

Heck, besides this, I just yesterday learned (by happenstance) of the type 1 and type 2 Franklin half reverses on the 56 proofs. If that's been around a long time I plead guilty and embarrassed. Sheesh.

Cazador likes this.
  12. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I got one at the gas station just the other day. Yeah, they're spending them. They spend them, and we collect them. It works out just fine.

Cazador likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted