1981 quarter that looks different

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Matthew32, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Matthew32

Matthew32 New Member

Can someone tell me why this quarter looks to be copper? Is it an error or is this something worth something. I'm new to the coin world and any advice is very appreciated. Thank you received_1312561702266350.jpeg received_533548983966407.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tmeyer

tmeyer Au hunter

Looks like it was in the ground. Lets see what others say.

Spark1951 and Matthew32 like this.
  4. Environmentally damaged coins such as this appear on this site with remarkable regularity.

spirityoda and Matthew32 like this.
  5. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Now this is a Quarter. This has been seen by three numismatist and all 3 say I should send it to PCGS for authenticity and grading, but I am reluctant to do that. It appears to have 5 anomalies. It is a 2008 Colorado Grand Canyon coin. I would like to hear from what you about the coin, thank you. By the way all 3 say they have never seen a coin like this! IMG_1747.jpeg

chuck123 and Matthew32 like this.
  6. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

PCGS wont grade this coin, its obviously a squeeze job, and if your 3 "numismatists" cant see that, then they are obviously amateurs or they are messin with you...

7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Not an error. Environmental Toning damage to the clad layer.
    Here are examples from my metal detecting finds -
    20190519_144614-1.jpg 20190519_144632-1.jpg 20190504_174319-1.jpg 20171224_140434.jpg 20190316_113034-1.jpg KenObv.jpg KenRev.jpg

juris klavins and Matthew32 like this.
  8. paddyman98

DEFDAM - Definitely Damaged
    Altered after it left the US Mint.
    Tell those 3 people they are totally wrong.

Also.. Start your own unique seperate thread next time.

- Mr. Ed
    Specializing in collecting Mint Errors since 1986

Kentucky and spirityoda like this.
  9. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

PCGS has already told me they will not grade it but they will review the coin, seal it, and return it with results, that I have already been told! As for the numismatist they are all certified, 2 are P.Hd, and all 3 have been in the business for 25 and more years! I respect their opinion and very much their experience. "When in doubt seek a professional" and that is exactly what I have done. I respect your opinion but don't be so quick to judge.

10. paddyman98

:facepalm: Ok.. Fine. It's still an altered coin.
    Please provide what you get from PCGS when it happens. And don't forget to start your own thread.

It is considered hijacking a thread when you post something on It that has nothing to do with the original subject.

11. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It's not that I question your veracity, but my experience with most dealers is that most do not know anything about error coins because it is too time consuming. They have much more important business to attend to. I have to wonder why one or all of them didn't offer to submit the coin for you. ~ Chris

Oldhoopster likes this.
  12. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

To the OP's coin, it appears to be copper colored as it is environmentally damaged. It was probably in the ground for a short time. Welcome to CT.

spirityoda and Matthew32 like this.
  13. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

One of these PHd amateurs has made his evaluation and has sent the coin to PCGS for determination. We should have it back in two to three months, but guess what, he has also advised me to learn from this site and its many experienced actors. Never place a thread on the site unless you up to ridicule, guesses, and attitude. With that being said, I bid you ado.

14. Matthew32

Matthew32 New Member

Thank you all I really appreciate it. I weighed it for hahas and it weighed 5.4, My wife and I just started collecting coins and bills for the future if we come across em. Can I list here in my thread what I got and some of ya can give us a heads up on if we should keep them or let em go.

15. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

For those of you that have sent pleasant and excellent opinion, I thank you. May God keep us all safe, healthy, and Happy. Mr.Q signing off.

Sunshine17 likes this.
  16. paddyman98

Bye.. Don't let the door slam you in the backside on your way out!

(Remember.. Your own separate thread.. No hijacking!)

Diogenes Diaz and Kentucky like this.
  17. Matthew32

Matthew32 New Member

For the Penny's I have,
    1930 wheat penny, 1941 wheat penny, 1943 steel wheat penny, 1948 wheat penny, 1950 wheat penny.
    I have a 1949 dime.
    I have a 1928 g series red label $2 bill
    I have a 1934 $5 bill..

Again I'm not sure if there worth anything and that's why I need your expertise and any advice I would appreciate. Again we are super new to this and I just want advice from you guys as y'all know alot more then us. Thank you

paddyman98 likes this.
  18. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Condition is everything. Do not clean any of them. Post pictures on a separate thread. In focus front and back side.

longarm and Matthew32 like this.
  19. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

You should also show the full reverse side, or obverse side in this case.
    Also, this needed it's own, separate thread rather than inside someone else's thread.

It's curious.
    When coins are minted there are 3 dies.
    The Hammer die (top one slamming down), the Anvil die (the bottom one) and the Collar (the one that prevents it from being larger than what it needs to be and maintains it's roundness).

The Collar for quarters also provide the Reeded edge.
    So if there is a Collar present, then the coin will have a reeded edge and conform to the shape of the collar. When the collar is not present then they end up getting squished and called Broadstruck.

(a) This coin has a reeded edge.
    (b) It also has the rim damaged in multiple locations
    (c) It is also squished out
    normally when you see these 3 things it becomes obvious that it's damaged especially with the circular marks and reverse letters.

So, I haven't looked at it in detail but this would have had to somehow gotten stuck being ejected if it is what they think it is ... this actually does happen and sometimes you get a block of coins.
    but hey, send it in and tell us what PCGS says.

20. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

I would like to apologize to Mathew32 for my interruption. My inexperience to the site is very apparent. There are some very experienced opinions about your coin. Hope all goes well, again, very sorry. But hey, I learned something new!

Hookman and longarm like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted