1981 Penny

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by PamR, Apr 12, 2021.

?

Please look at this and what do you all think.

Poll closed Apr 15, 2021.
  1. Markings

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Letters

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

Well, @PamR, I see we are off to a rocky start today. Allow me to welcome you aboard The CT Train and hope your next encounter is more pleasant and knowing the members you have responded to are really good guys trying to offer great advice which sometimes seems harsh, but is not intended. We would love to see more of your coins posted in the future. :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. PamR

PamR You Never Know! Supporter

Thank you so much. I know he meant no harm. I just took it wrong. Thanks again.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  4. PamR

Well that is wonderful. The day I found the coin which was on Friday, spoke to the Mint, they gave me his information. I did read his information and he is in many books, news channels and well known and especially if the U.S. Mint suggested him, I would say yes he is well k own.
    Although I was in banking, I was just wondering or reporting the coin if in fact it’s was an error. It was interesting to me and the penny, well ignorant or not, the person liked the coin and again, I had no knowledge of the coin other than it was the year I graduated. For all I know, someone could have given it to me for that very reason. So thanks again.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  5. PamR

Attached Files:

Robert Ransom likes this.
  6. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Now there's a very fine-looking coin, @PamR. Common in that circulated grade, but no issues with it. But what I think @Robert Ransom meant was put your others in other threads. You can start as many as you want. We'll just take them, one at a time, as we find them.

PamR likes this.
  7. PamR

Thank you! Learning the ropes! Lol!

8. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

No, thank you. And sometimes I'm a horse's ass, I'll admit. You'll get used to it, they are. :)

9. PamR

10. PamR

Appreciate it.

11. Robert Ransom

ROFLMAO 1Emoji.jpg Screenshot_2021-03-04 free emoji clipart thumbs up at DuckDuckGo.png

Cheech9712, eddiespin and PamR like this.
  12. Robert Ransom

Nice circulated coin without heavy marks or dings. I'm really interested in seeing some of your 1800 coins. :)

PamR likes this.
  13. PamR

I worked at a bank years ago. Someone had brought them in so I swapped them out fast. I’m going through them but a little gun shy lol! Since the Ellis Island Coin I had found last week, although it was tampered with, just been hooked since then.

14. Robert Ransom

Do not be concerned. You will be surprised by the support and information available here on CT. I have posted a number of threads where I didn't convey my question very well and received a few comments I thought were not deserved. I now try to be specific with questions I ask so there is no misunderstanding. Although we love seeing photos of coins, the best practice is to only submit both obverse and reverse of one coin per thread and enlarged photos of areas you question. Good luck. :)

15. PamR

Thanks so much. Appreciate it.

16. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

By the way, I put that paragraph about not dealing in
    die varieties in there to the OP and others because,
    although I am familiar with die varieties, of course, I've
    found that it takes much less time to send inquires here
    to CT, than engage in a 3-4-5- email exchange trying to
    explain mechanical doubling vrs. doubled dies, etc.

I send a lot of folks to this site - saves my sanity in many cases.

Nyatii, Dynoking, Cheech9712 and 4 others like this.
  17. PamR

Well I appreciate it very much. I have read about you and I completely understand. Just was bombarded in a way and took some things incorrectly on here. But hey I’m a big girl, so nothing I cannot handle. I just thought the Ellis Island coin was interesting although in my gut I knew it was tampered with. The U.S. Mint has you on top of their list, so it was very kind of you to respond. Thanks again.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  18. PamR

I guess I did not realize what I had collected while in banking but yes, any 1800s I will send you pics.

Cheech9712 and Robert Ransom like this.
  19. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

Pam...what we are trying to say is don’t misrepresent the coin. We are of the opinion it has been plated. Plated means altered. Altered means not the original coin.

Now you know it is worth face value and selling it to someone for more than that is frowned upon. Now it is up to you to do the right thing...jmho...Spark.

Cheech9712 and PamR like this.
  20. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Plated, face value, good for conversation or spending. Welcome to CT

21. PamR

Very Understandable. And you know, I guess I should have known being in banking but was there to take money in and send out. There was a man that would come into the bank everyday, yes everyday to get $20,000 in ones. He found many errors etc. I was happy for him but dang, we had machines etc to count. So a lot missed. Thank you.

Draft saved Draft deleted