1981 penny no mint mark reverse issue

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by jeremy_elkins, Feb 28, 2015.

1. jeremy_elkins

jeremy_elkins Member

Screenshot_2015-02-27-22-50-18.png Screenshot_2015-02-27-22-50-18.png Screenshot_2015-02-27-22-50-18.png 1981 penny no mint mark reverse issue? I am new to this and for some reasons I have taken a liking to Quarters and pennies. So as being new I see some sort of error in most every coin that I look at. Some errors are just my eyes playing tricks on me because I am so fascinated with the coin, some are issues that I have no clue what to think, and the minimal percent left are actually true errors. So...anyways, I came across this 1981 penny tonight and the reverse caught my attention. Is this any kind of error or did it just get ran over by a car to many times? Also, how can you tell the difference between the two. Thank you all.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

PMD, parking lot coin

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Welcome to the neighborhood, Jeremy!

It looks like road kill to me, so it doesn't go in "Pile #3"!

In order to tell the difference between the two, you need to learn more about the minting process. Once you learn what can happen at the Mint, it makes it easy to determine what can't happen at the Mint.

Chris

PS. You may want to invest in a tripod or copy stand to eliminate the blurry photos.

jeremy_elkins likes this.
  5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Yes your coin is Post Mint Damage. Also, The Mint Marks for Cents are found only on the Obverse. The mint mark position on all Lincoln cents is under the date: P D and S stand for the following -
    > No mint mark = Philadelphia, even on cents minted since 1980.
    > D = Denver
    > S = San Francisco, on circulation cents 1909-55 and 1968-74, and proof cents since 1968

jeremy_elkins likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted