1981 P Quarter Error

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by thepuzzler1, Jun 30, 2011.

1. thepuzzler1

thepuzzler1 New Member

This is a picture from my scanner. The IN in IN GOD WE TRUST seems to be fused. This could be a sign of wear, but the edge/area around the fused letters don't seem to be affected at all.

1981 n god we trust.jpg

P.S. sorry about the rotation!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Looks like a worn coin to me. The "fused letters" could have fused as they wore down or maybe something smashed them. Either way it is nothing special. I would spend it.

4. thepuzzler1

thepuzzler1 New Member

But there is no sign of wear on the rim. If the letters were worn down from circulation, wouldn't the raised edge next to it also be worn flat? Or the letters near it?

5. BrandonG

BrandonG New Member

I have the same error on my quarter. Coincidence???

I have this exact same quarter in very good condition, with the same error P mark. P mark on mine is identical to this one. It is unusually large and has a slight wing coming off the left side of the P in the same way as this one. I found it today in my pocket change. Cool huh? I just registered so I could reply on this, but I will definitely be getting back with ya'll. I have numerous error coins that I can't seem to find much on, maybe I will post some and we can figure it out. I doubt your error is due to wear. Thanks for having me as new member.

6. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

Damage

7. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

The only error is that the picture is inverted.

If you flip it, all will be well.

:)

8. Jack Tennyson

Jack Tennyson New Member

These guy never say anything positive about anything we say

9. Rick james

Rick james New Member

Your all wrong it's a off center miss stamp worth $6 if it's mint. That's worth about 2.50

10. Trailer king

Trailer king Member

I have a very interesting 1981P quarter. The damage of the adverse is at the word we and the neck. It almost looks like that area of the coin was doubled. The intent goes through coin and is raised on the reverse. It does not look like it post damage. It a way it also looks like a issue during the melting or molding process. A piece of debris or maybe a blob of grease on the die that remained on the die after it was struck.

Attached Files:

11. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

It is just damaged by heat. The heat caused it to bubble.

12. Trailer king

Trailer king Member

I will up date latter

13. Lesaul

Lesaul New Member

I have the exact same coin.... I imagine it's worth $2.50-$6, as Rick James mentioned. Also, it may be worn,as Treashunt mentioned (hilarious comment on the inverted picture btw), but the IN on mine is also fused and the I has a bit of a slant. The G in GOD looks a lot more like COD. The p mintmark has an odd indention surrounding it,as if it were stuck twice. Not looking to sell, just a big fan of errors. Anyone find any more info on this piece?

Draft saved Draft deleted