1981 Lincoln penny double die?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Gloria92D, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Gloria92D

Gloria92D New Member

I am new to coin collecting and looking for any information on this type of error. I have a 1981 penny that appears to have been stamped twice. Is this error common? Would this coin be worth more than face value? 554B2F2E-1CA6-41B1-A440-F46392D2D508.jpeg 9FB77BE7-8985-4D76-B53E-6504C38187BC.jpeg

longshot, dchjr, alurid and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 352sdeer

352sdeer Collecting Lincoln cents for 50 years!

This is VERY interesting at first glance I thought vise job but no it’s not! @paddyman98 might have a quick answer for you let’s see. I say it looks like some kind of misaligned die clash Obverse and Reverse. OH....... PADDYMAN!

Welcome to CT.
    Reed

Gloria92D and paddyman98 like this.
  4. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

Looks like a double struck penny, very cool. Not a vise job and definitely not a die clash. I would wait for others to confirm.

Gloria92D and paddyman98 like this.
  5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Not a Doubled Die.
    I agree with @beef1020 ... A Double Struck.
    Rotated Double Struck within Collar. And also a Misaligned Die Strike.

If it were a vise job the first stirke would appear incused and images backwards.
    The second strike is everything that looks like a normal strike.

I love it. This is a true major Mint Error.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    352sdeer and Gloria92D like this.
  6. Willysilver

Willysilver HEADS UP Supporter

Nice find

Gloria92D likes this.
  7. paddyman98

8. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Welcome to Coin Talk. Never seen such a coin, Very interesting.

Gloria92D likes this.
  9. paddyman98

Google Double Struck within Collar and you will see different examples.
    It was struck once and it didn't eject properly so it was struck again. There is also a flipover Double Struck within collar. That's where it is struck once and the coin flips over and struck a second time.

Gloria92D likes this.
  10. paddyman98

@alurid
    Many times we see Cents that look double struck. The ones with the images and numbers & letters incused and backwards into the Cents.. Those are PMD and not errors ;)

Gloria92D likes this.
  11. Gloria92D

Gloria92D New Member

Thank you everyone. so it’s def an error and worth holding onto. That one thread he was selling his for 175. What would be your guess on a price range for a coin like this.

352sdeer likes this.
  12. dchjr

dchjr Well-Known Member

Very nice! Not sure of the price. If it were me, I'd keep it. But, I'm sort of a hoarder for errors I find.

352sdeer and Gloria92D like this.
  13. Gloria92D

Gloria92D New Member

Yes I plan to keep the coin because of the error, but was looking for an estimate for people that have seen these a lot what they may have been going for. I also have some rainbow toned so I believe that’s what they may be called I’d like to post sometime for opinions.. I’m just starting to collect coins. So if u have any helpful information on coin collecting it would be appreciated :)

352sdeer likes this.
  14. dchjr

dchjr Well-Known Member

Well, you're on a good start @Gloria92D . If you want to collect error coins, the one thing to do is learn how coins are made. This will help you to discern between what is truly an error and what is not or is PMD (Post Mint Damage). Some errors occur at the mint like Machine Doubling (MD) or Die Deterioration Doubling (DDD), but do not add any value to a coin {edited sentence}. Posting questions and pictures here will provide you with good feedback from some very knowledgeable people. Not all you post will be an error or what you think it is, but take the feedback and learn. You may have some links to some other helpful websites, but here are a few that I find extremely helpful. Read and learn, then read them again. Each time I research something I find more I didn't know. The more coins you look through, the easier it will be to start noticing the differences. Some things will jump out as being off. Take the time to research those and post your questions. Good Luck and keep posting!

Websites: Add these to your favorites on your web browser to easily find them.
    http://www.error-ref.com/
    http://doubleddie.com/1801.html
    http://varietyvista.com/
    http://www.lincolncentresource.com/index.html
    http://www.maddieclashes.com/
    http://cuds-on-coins.com/

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  15. paddyman98

MD and DDD are not Errors o_O

dchjr likes this.
  16. Gloria92D

Gloria92D New Member

Thank you so much for the information. I just went and added all the links to my bookmarks ill be sure to check them out.

17. Gloria92D

Gloria92D New Member

From what I’ve read I didnt think DDD was an error just mistaken for DD... is Doubled Die Detoriation anything? And I thought MD added value to a coin depending on the Doubled Die? Is it not an error?

18. paddyman98

MD is Mechanical Doubling. It's a stutter when the coin is being struck. Nothing to do with a Doubled Die
    Die Deterioration Doubling is a worn Die. After much usage the doubling appears which is lower than the letters and numbers or incused. Also nothing to do with a Double Die.
    No value at all for MD or DDD

Gloria92D likes this.
  19. dchjr

dchjr Well-Known Member

Sorry for the confusion. As @paddyman98 explained, MD and DDD are NOT errors. No extra value for them. I was just trying to say that you should learn what those are so that when you see a real Doubled Die (DD), you will know the difference.

paddyman98 and Gloria92D like this.
  20. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Nice to see a genuine error. And, if you found that in circulation, monster score.

21. Gloria92D

Gloria92D New Member

Yes it was found in circulation my boyfriend actually found this one In his truck change :)

Draft saved Draft deleted