1981 lincoln cent possible doubling

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Dustin mize, Jul 10, 2024.

1. Dustin mize

Dustin mize New Member

I got this 1981 lincoln cent I know it's I'm some rough shape but after inspecting it with the microscope camera it looks like there could be some doubling in the word LIBERTY and the words IN GOD. Not really sure but it's could be. But I truly doubt it. I looked up to see if there any references on if there was any ddo cents in 1981. But I couldn't fi d nothing not on vista variety which seems to no longer exists or on CONCEA master list. So iam coming here to see

Attached Files:

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Hello @Dustin mize! Welcome to the site. Looks like you have a corrosive coin with what's called Machine doubling among other terms.

Cazador, VistaCruiser69 and Spark1951 like this.
  4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Not the kind of doubling you want to see on a coin. Also has wear and corrosion.

Cazador and SensibleSal66 like this.
  5. Dustin mize

Dustin mize New Member

Well yeah it has corrosion it was found under about 2 feet of dirt. If It is machine doubling then why did I got someone to buy it for $800 and I have about 300 people wanting it.

6. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Okay Dustin.
    download.jpg

Cazador likes this.
  7. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

upload_2024-7-20_6-45-50.png

paddyman98 and Cazador like this.
  8. Cazador

Cazador Supporter! Supporter

MD!!!
    Here is the true value for your coin. upload_2024-7-20_7-50-57.jpeg

paddyman98 likes this.
  9. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

Although the photos aren't entirely clear, you have either machine doubling or die deterioration doubling, both very common and not caused by the die at all. I hope that the person you sold it to for $800 doesn't know where you live, because he'll want his money back. Here's a publication by Wexler that describes the various types of worthless doubling. Click on the links at the end of the article and on the left. It's worth a penny only.
    https://doubleddie.com/144801.html

10. Cazador

Cazador Supporter! Supporter

CENT

eddiespin likes this.
  11. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

Was it paid for with a cashier's check for $1000 and you gave them back the $200 extra because they just needed to get some cash?

12. Dustin mize

Dustin mize New Member

No it wasn't paid for a cashier's check it was paid in cash and no they weren't counterfeit bills either. It was bought by a coin dealer here in northers California. Maybe he seen something that you guys didn't cause he looked at it for about 1hr pretty thorough. I didn't think it was anything to special myself. I agree with you all that it was either MD Die detoration

13. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I just sold a 1943 Steel Cent for $10,000 :greedy:

Just kidding, I totally made that up and I'm sure you did also o_O

SensibleSal66 and KBBPLL like this.
  14. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

Name the dealer.

15. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor Supporter

Hi Dustin, take in consideration that you have the coin ( and/or possibly the money instead. All that most of us can do is go by photos and our background knowledge. Yes sometimes it seems impossible to many of us due to what we can see in the photos. Many of us , including myself have been challenged in our postings, but if we are really sure, we usually just wave it off and keep enjoying coins. Jim

SensibleSal66 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted