1981 Kennedy Half Font error?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Jim sullivan, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Jim sullivan

Jim sullivan Toned coins rule

1981 Kennedy Half. The top of the L in LIBERTY is flat and not tapered and flared as it should be. I added a pic for comparision. The coin doent appear to be in a state of any advanced die wear but looks to be made this way...theres only 1 obverse for this year which should be ODV-004 I believe. Any thoughts? Just die wear? Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Probably just a worn die issue.

4. Jim sullivan

That was my thoughts also and probably will be the concensus but the coin just dosent display the signs of being at a die stage where that would be happening. I really wish my pics were a bit more crisp. Thanks Paddy

paddyman98 likes this.
  5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Your images are fine.

The "Peg Leg" Ike, is cited with a similar problem. Some are considered a die variety while others are considered a die stage.

Chris

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Maybe s variety but probably a worn die.

7. Jim sullivan

Yes, the peg leg Ike was the first thing that came to mind when I noticed this but where that is a known variety, I cant find any reference to any alternate die style that could have been mixed up to produce this. So yes, its most likely die wear but had to investigate as the coin seems pretty crisp otherwise...

8. TyCobb

TyCobb A product of PMD

Can someone please elaborate on this being a worn die? My fuzzy logic and thought process tells me that a worn die would cause the serifs and the letter to potentially get larger. This looks skinny and gets narrower.

It looks completely opposite the worn dies I see on quarters where, yes the strike looks weak towards the outside, but still has details. This one is lacking everything it should have and it's not like the L just fades into the rest of the coin, it noticeably drops the serif.

Draft saved Draft deleted