1981 D nickel

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Chrystal Lewis, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Chrystal Lewis

Chrystal Lewis New Member

Ok just want to know what would cause a 1981 D Jefferson nickel to change color or if it was made that color? Curiosity got to me when I seen a yellowish gold nickel. Not the best picture sorry maybe I can get a better on in daylight.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

probably gold wash plated

4. tpsadler

tpsadler Numismatist

Very hard see from your photo .. Maybe it has been around a smoker. Please provide better photos

Chrystal Lewis likes this.
  5. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

They can tone like this in an album.

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It's the cold weather. :)

7. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

Toning due to environment? Any better photos? I know that if you expose a copper nickel coin to very high heat it will tone yellow, just like what I see yours looks like, looking like gold.

8. Chrystal Lewis

Thanks everyone yeah I will try and get better picture in the day like is dark last night and my flash on my camera was not doing the coin any good few. When it's in my hand and I take a picture it looks like a normal nickel. Ill try and get more better pictures today. THANKS everyone

9. Chrystal Lewis

Okay I got a few more pic

10. Chrystal Lewis

20160125_152742.jpg 20160125_152929.jpg 20160125_152742.jpg 20160125_152929.jpg 20160125_152742.jpg 20160125_152929.jpg

11. Chrystal Lewis

20160125_152929-1-1.jpg

12. Chrystal Lewis

13. tpsadler

tpsadler Numismatist

Not sure if this an answer to this post but the yellow colored nickel is not minted in with that color .. I am positive from the neither of the coin photos look a gold coin. That would be absolute if you are sure the White Balance is ON your camera.
    Neither of these nickels would command a premium and might pay for part of a quarter filled cup of coffee :) If you were to take other photos please position those with the top of the coin on top, that will allow most ppl to see those photos without errors.

14. tpsadler

tpsadler Numismatist

Good luck in your search endeavors :)

15. Chrystal Lewis

Thanks I wasn't trying to see if it is worth anything I'm was just more curious as to what or why it would be a yellowis gold color it hard to get it to stand out but it's clearly different when next to all other nickels not sure about what you mean on he pictures I did post a few different ones the first one was at night with a flash the rest were outside in sunlight no flash on black and brown heres its on blue. But don't care if it's worth nothing I just like that it stands out and was curious as to what would cause a coin to look like this like did heat do it or is it because of a cleaning or a chemical reaction. 20160125_152711-1.jpg

Attached Files:

16. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Sorry to say I don't think it is worth anything more than a nickel. I have seen some of these 70's and 80's nickels with that kind of golden color. Now what was done to cause I do not know exactly - but people do all kinds of stuff to loose change, from washing them, dunking them in chemicals of some sort, to just tossing on the ground. All of which can make the surfaces do funny things.

17. tpsadler

tpsadler Numismatist

One thing you can always say about coin collectors ... They have a tendency define and then collect a series.. Maybe you can start you own collection type ... Golden Oldies of Artificially Toned Coins or some such title :) . @mark_h is correct many many things can cause this. Happy Hunting :)

Draft saved Draft deleted