1981 D filled & In together

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Seath forder, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Seath forder

Seath forder New Member

Came across this I and N together in god we trust and filled D.
    let me know what you guys think
    thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

It's circulated, hard to say what caused it.

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Ditto!

Chris

5. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

1981 was hardly our finest hour when it comes to crisp easily read mintmarks.

Tim Lackie Jr likes this.
  6. Brina

Brina Well-Known Member

I come across so many of these from 1982-1984. I just put them aside.
    Seriously. There's a LOT of these.

Tim Lackie Jr likes this.
  7. V. Kurt Bellman

Please DO put aside any especially nice 1982 and 1983 almost anything you find. Those years are tough to find in really nice shape, particularly quarters.

Tim Lackie Jr and Brina like this.
  8. Mrs. C. Gray

Mrs. C. Gray New Member

This quarter I believe is in the worst shape that I ever noticed . Any thoughts? Seems like the more I look at it the more I see. Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Granted, it has been damaged somewhat while in circulation, but if you think that is bad, wait until you have seen one with "road rash".

Chris

10. Mrs. C. Gray

Mrs. C. Gray New Member

Why? What happened during 81?

11. V. Kurt Bellman

Well, mostly the recovery from a recession started, and demand for coins temporarily exceeded our ability to crank them out. In fact, the shortage of productive capacity temporarily got so bad they stopped making uncirculated sets for 2 years - 1982-3. Dies were used harder, you might say overused.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  12. Mrs. C. Gray

Mrs. C. Gray New Member

Did you look at the pictures I uploaded? Is it remarkable in any way? To me it seems an error coin.

13. V. Kurt Bellman

No, not likely an error. I like to call these by my own personal acronym - SBTCOOI. "Somebody Beat The Crap Out Of It".

But despair not. A numismatist once won a high award at an ANA convention with an exhibit titled "Road Kill". It was a display of mangled coins found along public streets and highways.

14. Mrs. C. Gray

Mrs. C. Gray New Member

Thank you Mr. Bellman. I appreciate you taking the time to look at it. I do have another question. I found a 1947 Dime that seems to have a number 8 or letter S on its side. I posted it on this website before, but for your convenience I'll upload it again.

Attached Files:

15. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

It's damage of one sort or another, unfortunately, but still silver so not all is lost.

16. V. Kurt Bellman

Mr. Books above is correct, as usual. I'll make an educated guess on the specific cause of the damage. It looks to me like a pair of wire cutters or "dykes" with a slightly loose fulcrum point. The wedge-shaped displacement in opposite directions on nearby yet not quite adjacent edge reeds is what tells me this. Remember, while harder than gold, 90% silver is still soft compared to some metals, and can easily be significantly marred using some modest hand tools. You don't need to resort to exotic tool materials.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  17. dchjr

dchjr Well-Known Member

I think they did the same in 1984. The die used on this coin was way past its usefulness. :woot:
    1984 WR DDD (4).jpg 1984 WR DDD (7).jpg

Attached Files:

18. V. Kurt Bellman

Wow, that is one hot mess, isn't it? Don't put it in the hands of some of our noobs - they'll think they have a $100K doubled die coin.

I believe your coin may have been struck on Mr. Tugly's machine, Bud Tugly.

dchjr likes this.
  19. V. Kurt Bellman

By the way, the master hub for quarters was ALSO starting to deteriorate some in this era. By 1991, quarters were a story of "garbage in, garbage out". 1992 brought about a brand new master hub, used through 1998. It featured more "detail" but less "relief" creating what has become known as George 'Spaghetti Hair' Washington.

dchjr likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted