1981 d dime looks like he has an ear ring

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by rootintootin 55, Jan 23, 2019.

1. rootintootin 55

rootintootin 55 Active Member

this dime has lots of damage what would cause this looks like pieces of metal sticking out of it . 81d1.jpg 81d3.jpg 81d2.jpg 81d4.jpg 81d5.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

maybe pointed things hitting it hard. some lifting up and removing metal, some leaving chads of metal and all in between.

*exactly* what did that .. is anyone's guess except for the person(s) that did it which could give you the exact answer.

But, I have no idea. .. a roofers nail gun (or maybe someone was playing with an ear piercing clamp thing ?? Of course then the next question would be "why" ... who knows ....

It's just best to learn to identify Damage as "damage" and not a "mint error". Because it will be hard to indentify, considering it's been around for a while, what caused the damage. It could have come from multiple hits of various types.

Someone/something poked his eye out too ...

It has had 38 years to accumulate damage and wear.

4. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

damage/contact mark.

Look at all the other 'marks' on the surface;
    same cause.

Not an error, I'm sorry to say.

5. rootintootin 55

6. rootintootin 55

the funny thing is this dime doesn't look bad with out magnifying it

7. Clawcoins

if you are using a cell phone you are probably to close for the camera to focus. Pull it back (or use an app that allows close focusing).

Then crop the image to make it bigger.
    Also a nicely lit room so the exposure time isn't too long where you can't keep it steady which commonly is about 1/2 second.

8. rootintootin 55

81d91.jpg 81d9.jpg 81d7.jpg 81d8.jpg ok thanks ill give it a truy

9. rootintootin 55

it isn't this clear to the naked eye these marks are tiny and hard to see

10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Damage is damage so it doesn't matter what caused the damage. All that matters is the fact that it is damaged.

11. Clawcoins

We're not quite sure what else you are asking as your original comment is 100% correct??

The dime has been damaged by who knows what, how many times, by various things/actions. Take a guess ... you'll be as correct as us as we failed to attach a lifetime virtual GoPro to it since it's release from the mint to know exactly what has happened to it.

12. SilverDollar2017

SilverDollar2017 Morgan dollars

It's a small area of damage. Not a mint error. Spender.

13. rootintootin 55

you ask for clear pictures so I tried to send them as best I could . im not asking for any thing just sharing that the coin does not look that damaged to the naked eye . and I find that strange but thank you all for your help and imput

Draft saved Draft deleted