1980FM Panama 100 Balboas Canal Commem. (U) Uncirculated

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by 7Jags, Jun 10, 2022.

1. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

This is a very scarce coin with original mintage of 77 pieces and comes up for sale only infrequently; the proof much more common but appearing to be rising in price as well. The only downside is the design on reverse of Mr. Lesseps is not as appealing as the earlier Balboa or later Native American designs. tempImagevVlPlO.png tempImageu0RXRa.png Apologize for the photos through the holder which was scratched and there is a wood chip or something inside the holder on reverse side.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Ignoring the detriments of the holder, it is still a fine looking coin

4. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

What you refer to as reverse, I'd consider obverse. Nice coin!

5. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

LOL I had to correct myself as the coat of arms on Panama is generally considered obverse even with M. Lesseps unbeautiful self/portrait.

derkerlegand likes this.
  6. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

As I have been looking at your coin posts... do you only collect low mintage coins no matter what they look like ? I have some low mintage coins, but they all have eye appeal. I am not mocking you at all... just wondering is all ?

7. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

Well, no, I go for aesthetics first. However I love the challenge of chasing down all the avenues for rarer coins. My favorite coin is the West African States 1982 5000 CFA gold essai (large format). I also like the cocle "Indian" designs of Panama (see the 100 Balboa of Panama 1981-84).

MIGuy likes this.
  8. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

Of course I always like completing series as well and this was the last 100 Balboa Franklin Mint coin - precisely because I did NOT like the design & passed on the Stuart specimen sold some years ago.

9. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

Bit of a surface restoration later (in hand there really is NO schmutz):

tempImagePqyAof.png tempImageYkG4YI.png

cladking likes this.
  10. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

Funny thing is that I continuously find myself in contest with the late (?) Richard Stuart's collection - a fruitless task as he had one of the finest collections of Panama ever put together as was his British Honduras set, amongst others. He ran a complete set of the 500 Balboas, and I do not have even a single example!

Mister T likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted