1980D Kennedy 3 strike planchet error

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Sassychats, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Sassychats

Sassychats I want to "forget" but my mind won't let me!

Thank you CN...I've looked up a few grading points, and compared the one on eBay to mine, and they are really, really similar...my coin has been in a plastic envelope/sleeve since 1980 and there are no obvious marks, wear, scratches, etc...to be honest, when I was going through my small coin collection; I was actually about to throw it away the other day, then thought I should do some research...gosh I'm glad I didn't, and equally glad I stumbled onto this website. Thank you again for your words of wisdom. Very much appreciated.
    Cheryl

Collecting Nut likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

You're welcome. Stick around. You can learn a lot, mostly about coins and money but other things in life as well. We CTers also have a warped sense of humor so just enjoy.

4. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

What P and G said it looks like 3 clips and not 3 strikes.

5. Sassychats

oops, forgot to sign in when I last replied! LOL
    Yes, 3 clips, not "strikes"....

6. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Chris .. question.
    Her triple clip half has what looks like a full rim, except where the clips are. how did this get through the upsetting mill if clipped at blanking? Plus the reeding looks good and not squished out like I "think" it would where if it was clipped and feed into the minting press it would squish out a bit along the collar.

Was the clip during the blanking stage, or right after the minting step by the minting press ?

i'm asking because I really don't know and I'm confused at what i'm looking at and can't figure out "how".
    Thanks

7. Sassychats

Clawcoins
    Yes, except for where the clips are, the rest of the coin has the rim, just like what a proper coin would have.

8. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

You aren't the only one who thought: "Where's the Blakesley effect on this coin?"

9. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

With large curved clips a Blakesly effect is not all ways present.
    The two smaller clips are opposite enough to each other that they probably would not show either.

10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I think P&G gave you your answer.

However, you can see the Blakesley Effect on the rim near the "0" of the date.

Chris

11. Sassychats

Okay, what is the "Blakesley Effect"????

12. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

When a coin blank is punched from the sheet, it is slightly larger than the finished coin. The reason is that this extra metal is needed near the rim to form a full rim when the coin is struck. The blank, after being punched out, goes through a machine called an upsetting mill. This upsetting mill has rollers in it that will squeeze the edges making the blank smaller and pushing up a ridge of metal around the edge of the blank that will form the rim of the coin when struck.

When the blank is clipped, the rollers in the upsetting mill have no resistance on the opposite side from the clip to be able to push up the ridge of metal to properly form the rim of the coin on the opposite side from the clip. The resulting weak rim and weak details near the rim on the opposite side of the coin from the clip, is called the Blakesley effect, named after the person who first explained this effect..

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    -jeffB likes this.
  13. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I did not look last night at the photos, but if you look at the reverse.
    The Blakesley Effect is also present on the reverse between ER of America and DO of Dollar.

[​IMG]

cpm9ball likes this.
  14. Sassychats

Homer! got it! Thank you.
    I am assuming having this effect is a "good" thing?? LOL
    So fascinating to learn all this stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted