1980 penny error?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by xxxjjxxx, Nov 11, 2019.

1. xxxjjxxx

xxxjjxxx New Member

19-11-11 01:50:31.png

I am new at coin collecting. Is this an error? If so, is it worth anything? Thank you. This picture is under Lincoln.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 2manyhobbies

2manyhobbies Well-Known Member

It would be best to post pics of the entire coin. Obverse (front) and reverse.

4. xxxjjxxx

xxxjjxxx New Member

Thank you for your support

5. 2manyhobbies

2manyhobbies Well-Known Member

I hope you don't think I was being rude. It's just very difficult to tell from what very little we can see of the coin. I do hope it turns out to be something!

Spark1951 likes this.
  6. xxxjjxxx

xxxjjxxx New Member

No, I did not take it as being rude at all. I took it within the spirit it was meant which is to be helpful. And I thank you very much.

Spark1951 and 2manyhobbies like this.
  7. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

I cannot make out anything from your photo, so I am with the other poster.

8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

First, welcome to the neighborhood!

Since you are new to collecting coins, it is best if you learn more about the minting process before you start looking for errors. Otherwise, every odd looking coin that may or may not have been damaged in circulation will look like an error to you.

Chris

paddyman98 and xxxjjxxx like this.
  9. xxxjjxxx

xxxjjxxx New Member

Sounds like good advice. Ty.

10. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

So.. Are you going to post any full pictures front and back?

11. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Does this have a double rim?
    Most of those are a mis aligned die strike. And the more dramatic the better.
    With those, you need to check both sides, if one side is normal, even though you
    have an error it may not be worth anything. If both sides are off that's better, or
    if one side is REALLY off by a lot.
    While you can't tell 100% from photos, clear close up photos of the full coin,
    (Both sides, and sometimes the rim) are necessary for people to make an
    educated guess. Usually with an MAD one side of the rim is a little thicker or doubles and the side opposite will be thinner. And while it looks cool, that's all it is.

12. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

We really need photos of both sides taken and cropped to full size to be helpful. Please don't use the small thumbnails and well to CT.

Draft saved Draft deleted