1980 Penny Date Error "0"

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by TCM, Mar 9, 2013.

1. TCM

TCM New Member

Hey guys,

Hope I am doing this correctly, the image looks super small here in edit. Anyways wondering what you guys can tell me about this 1980? The 1990 is only a little off so probably not even worth keeping. But I pulled it out anyways. I don't know a ton about error coins just what I have read online from some of the main sites. I am going to have to pick up some books on the subject. I was CRHing halfs for silver & errors but have now moved on to nickels and cents. I am working on completing my books for those as well as having fun looking for errors. :)

Thanks for your help.

1000420.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TCM

TCM New Member

Here is a better image.
    P1000633.jpg

4. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

To me, it looks like coin roller damage. But thats just me.

tomfiggy likes this.
  5. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

It is post-mint damage...trying to figure out the cause behind damage is often trivial, as the important part is recognizing and differentiating between damage and collectable errors.
    Keep up the hunt!

tomfiggy likes this.
  6. ziggy9

ziggy9 *NEC SPERNO NEC TIMEO*

In most cases this is true but this damage shows up so often on so many different dates it helps to understand that this is caused by the crimper fingers on a rolling machine. If you see a cent that has the last digit of the date damaged in a way that it looks like it was knocked sideways then it most likely was caused by the crimper

7. TCM

TCM New Member

Thanks so much for chiming in. I always like to know as much as I can about things. Upon much closer inspection I can just barely make out that it was scrapped & pushed together. Pretty amazing how cleanly the machine can create this damage. I do wonder what brand & model rolling machine would have created this damage? I have been looking at sorting & rolling machines online, but they are not the industrial size ones. If you know more about the machines they use, I would love to know so I can try to find pictures and/or videos of them. Also I have been finding many coins with spiral damage in the center of the obverse of the coin. I am now thinking this might be from the same process & maybe even the same machine?

I think learning as much as we can about everything is all part of the fun of coins. It's awesome in life how everything is connected & one thing often will lead you to another.

Thanks again for sharing you're knowledge.

Respect,
    TCM

8. Daniel locker john

Daniel locker john New Member

I have one the same year missing three quarters of the zero I will beg to differ gentleman

9. pennsteve

pennsteve Well-Known Member

1980 had some doubled dies. Check for that in the lettering.

10. ziggy9

ziggy9 *NEC SPERNO NEC TIMEO*

you can "beg to differ" but that doesn't change the facts

11. pennsteve

pennsteve Well-Known Member

Oops, I just realized this thread is three years old and I was replying to someone who probably isn't here anymore.

Draft saved Draft deleted