1980 P Lincoln Cent 2.5 Grams

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Captain Butch, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Captain Butch

Captain Butch New Member

Hello Everyone I found this going thru my copper cents,At first I thought it had been cleaned and set to the side and noticed it's thinner and smaller in diameter. The Planchet diameter size is between a Lincoln Cent and a Roosevelt Dime and weighs 2.5 grams. Any Ideas 1980 Penny 2.5 grams.JPG PA230109.JPG PA230117.JPG PA230111.JPG

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

With the description it is mostly likely to be an acid treated normal cent. Unlike what most people would think, acid doesn't dissolve only the high parts first, but all of the surfaces and edges at the same time and rate, so the main tip off is the smaller diameter and thickness of the metal. Jim

4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Or it could be a Cent struck on a rolled thin Planchet.
    Here is an example from my collection -
    thin1.JPG

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    Rick Stachowski likes this.
  5. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

That's what I'm thinking too ..
    Good call ....

6. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

I don't see any evidence of
    chemicals, so I believe, as
    do the two posts above, that
    it's a rolled thin planchet.

paddyman98 likes this.
  7. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

I think rolled thin too.

8. desertgem

Would not the rolled thin planchet have the correct diameter? I believe it would, so I will stick with the acid.

9. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

I know the OP says it's smaller in diameter,
    but I don't see that - it certainly doesn't look
    half-way between a cent and dime diameter to me.

10. desertgem

Maybe he is wrong, but how can you determine it isn't true based on no measurable or comparable structure to compare it? My thought was he would not have mentioned it in those terms if he did not find it out of the ordinary.
    19mm-17.9mm=1.1mm/2 = .55mm ( very small, about the thickness of a human fingernail #2-5)

11. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

OP take a image of the rim ... Let see how thin it is .........

12. desertgem

I just want to know the diameter myself, as the rim would be thinner if it was either one.

13. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

OP, please post a picture of the coin compared to another penny and a dime side by side.

14. Mdoan123

Mdoan123 New Member

Found 1980 as well only 2,6 grams. Hum same color. And all putting it next to other penny s you have is it different color. Then rest. Hum odds of that.would be slim I live in indiana were does he live. Lol so someone put all 1980s penny's in a big bowl of acid don't think so. Copper doesn't react to acid.

15. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Since the cent die would not be any smaller, if the diameter was smaller either the rims would be thinner, which does not appear to be the case, or if the edge has be tapped in, the rim would be closer to the inscriptions than normal. This also does not appear to be the case. I seriously question the smaller diameter claim.

Draft saved Draft deleted