1980-D nickel gd shape w/steps

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by PinchApenny1982, May 19, 2017.

1. What's the minimum amount of steps showing to have any value? If this coin was ment no cuts with full stairs, what would be a rough value

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Your Nickel is worth 5C

Tyler Graton likes this.
  4. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

You basically have to have ALL the steps showing. There may be specialized instances that a very small amount can be missing, but one of the FS Nickel collectors would need to chime in. No idea what a FS 80D is worth but you could always search ebay or google to see if others are out there

PinchApenny1982 likes this.
  5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

From that photo, I don't see any steps.

Chris

6. dog_pound

dog_pound Supporter! Supporter

The coin pictured would not qualify for a FS Designation

“Full Steps” is a grading designation used for regular strike Jefferson Nickels which have at least five steps visible at the base of Monticello on the reverse. In order to receive the designation, there must be no disturbance of the steps due to strike weakness, contact marks, or planchet problems.

7. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

3 steps is not full steps.

Tyler Graton likes this.
  8. Tyler Graton

Tyler Graton Well-Known Member

IMG_0873.JPG
    This is full steps. No marks at all. Steps must be fully defined. Hard to find in circulation (not impossible) but if you are looking for full steps, I would find coin dealers in your area, and bring a list of the good years so nothing slips by you that could be good. Maybe you might have better luck there due to human error. Pay like 10 bucks maybe for a 2000 dollar coin, if you know what you are looking for... Antique stores and auctions is a place to look too. ( I don't do this but I am sure other people do. Been to a lot of antique/auctions and they all had old shiney coins for cheap.)ps the attached coin below is my not full steps 87, and the upside down pic is my not full steps 1940. So you can see what detours a full steps grade. IMG_0096.JPG IMG_0096.JPG IMG_0213.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 21, 2017
Draft saved Draft deleted