1980 copper dime?????

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Marshall M Holzderber, Mar 29, 2018.

1. The rim is ribbed as normal. Did a small scrap on the rim and it's the same cooper color underneath. Any ideas ?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

Welcome to the forum. Your dime has suffered environmental damage, it has spent time in the ground. They show up here frequently.

4. How would the scraping show alll copper underneatrh????

5. Like this ???

Attached Files:

6. Dave363

Dave363 Well-Known Member

Welcome to CT
    As stated your coin is environmental damage or if you like PMD (post mint damage) this isn't a mint error (sorry) but better luck next time. Keep hunting there out there.
    Dave

7. Ok i guess your not understanding when I cut into the coin the Inside is allllll the same color. So your saying that the environment changed the entire dime alll the way to the core ? It's a copper color on the inside.

8. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

The Clad layer that is over the copper core was affected. Clad coins have a copper core to start. That's why it changed color. I metal detect and have found hundreds of Dimes and Quarters with Clad layers affected such as yours
    Here are some examples I found -
    20171224_140434.jpg

9. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

Don't forget, clad dimes have a copper core which is visible on the edge as a band of copper all the way around. The area you scraped is most likely this copper area. You can see areas on your reverse picture that appear to show normal coloring in the chipping around the edge.

10. USCoinCollector42

USCoinCollector42 Well-Known Member

Most likely found metal detecting. Not a mint error.

image.jpg
    Here are some similar coins that I found detecting.

11. Neal

Neal Well-Known Member

By the way, and this is VERY important. Any coin that you suspect might have any collector value, no matter how great or small, if you "cut into it" you will guarantee that the value is none at all. The exception would be a very rare coin. It will only go from being worth a great deal to worth almost nothing. If you think a coin might be worth over face value to a collector, NEVER clean it, rub it, scratch it, or do anything that will change the surface in any way.

Bud1 Wilson likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted