1980 and 1981 Pennies

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by GTeachman, Mar 4, 2018.

1. GTeachman

GTeachman New Member

I'm still very much a newbie to the details in coin collecting. I know that Lincoln pennies were copper up until sometime in 1982. So, I've been saving those for years. I recently bought a Whitman penny folder for late in the last century. I noticed that there were 7 spaces for 1982 pennies. I could understand four (Cu and Zn), I didn't know there was large and small dates. I do know about the 1960 LD and SD, but I have a lot of trouble iding which is which. But, the 82 LD and SD are very obvious. But, I didn't know until I starting watching Coin Talk, thanks a bunch!

I also know there is some discussion about stopping penny production altogether and doing away with them. When I was working for the US Army I noticed that at least the overseas PXes didn't use pennies. I never thought I was being shortchanged nor was I short changing the PX. Like most folks, I just pull the pennies from my change and work with the larger values. But, this got me to thinking that since it will be inevitable, in MHO, that pennies will be going away and billions will be melted down for copper. Anything after sometime in 1982 will obviously not have melt value. So, the end of the copper run is 1981. I was wondering if it is worth saving 1981s as the last or will the Cu 82s (not 1982-S) be worth more as the last run?

Sorry to be so long-winded.

GT

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

No, There are too many cents in peoples' hands. Silver coins have been discontinued, but they aren't worth any more than bullion for circulated pieces.

4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

@furryfrog02 now this is an interesting question! o_O

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
    furryfrog02 and abuckmaster147 like this.
  5. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

You are better off just cashing in those copper cents.
    It's a waste of time and money. If copper were to hit $6 a pound,
    and it was legal to melt them, you are breaking even.
    146 cents to the pound, 25% spot copper for non grade A alloyed copper =
    $1.50 per pound. The price is high now at $3.12 by the time it gets to $6 you might be 100 years old.

cpm9ball likes this.
  6. abuckmaster147

abuckmaster147 Well-Known Member

Keep what you want, I do!

7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Great.. I will tell my grandchildren to melt my Cents and make me a copper casket! :dead:

JCro57, GTeachman and Ericred like this.
  8. GTeachman

GTeachman New Member

I like the idea of a copper casket! Just make sure the melt it's made from came from pennies prior to 1982. Cu gets a nice patina. Zinc, not so much.

paddyman98 likes this.
  9. Pocketchange75

Pocketchange75 New Member

So does this possibly mean saving pennies is an absolute waste of time because they will never be worth more than there face value? One more question please, so what about the ones that have a large date, small date, double die or any other errors, there not worth anything either? Is all the information posted online supposed to be false? For example... A 1970 small date sold at so and so auction for $5000.00, or this 19 whatever penny sold for $25,000. I read pennies being sold for hundreds and thousands at auctions. Please someone correct me, because I feel like I’ve been hibernating for the past few years or maybe I’m just seeing things lol.

10. abuckmaster147

abuckmaster147 Well-Known Member

I think what you really need to know is finding one of them well you would have a better chance to get struck by lighting, Or win the powerball!!
    That is what those videos do not tell you. But Hey You Never Know!

11. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

A zinc casket might rot out before a body does

abuckmaster147 likes this.
  12. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

I personally feel that all modern coinage (post-64) will never be worth more then face.

Exceptions being errors and varieties.

Draft saved Draft deleted