197_? Error coin Linciln D Penny Missing date digit and letters

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by JBinGB, Aug 11, 2011.

1. JBinGB

JBinGB New Member

a Very Unique coin from sometime in the Disco era of the 70's....It is a 197_ ????
    LINCOLN D PENNY that is missing the 4th digit on the date as well as the word "TRUST" and the letter "I" in Liberty on the obverse and the "E" in E Pluribus Unum on the reverse.
    The penny was likely struck on a (worn or) grease filled die at the mint? Note the Multiple Errors on the Coin in the Video.http://www.youtube.com/user/ForSaleInGreenBay?feature=mhee#p/a/u/0/2ltKWWzbG8Y

I've collected coins for many years, but have not sold them. The Ebay buyer fraud threads made me wary about selling it on Ebay. I made the mistake of throwing this coin to the "wolves" on craigslist, created a bit of a frustrating bidding war with multiple offers, I pulled that ad. Top bid I've had is now over $100. I wish I would have found your site first though, really just curious about it's worth from a collector's perspective. 197__ Penny.jpg 197__ Penny reverse.jpg

johnmatt likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ziggy9

ziggy9 *NEC SPERNO NEC TIMEO*

If you have multiple people bidding on this then you have multiple people that don't knmow what they are looking at. That coin is the result of a grease filled die with little or no added value.

Richard

Rachael likes this.
  4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

what Ziggy said.

Punt.

Oops, just saw that you are the seller.

Grab any valid offer over face, and run!

5. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

And in a month a buyer will be here proudly showing off his rare "missing digit" cent and won't he be surprised when he finds out the real value!

6. dfraser

dfraser Junior Member

As stated this has nominal collector value, should have taken the $100 offer.

7. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

It's just a filled die, but I do save those, if they're cool. I don't think I'd ever buy one, though. You should get over face for it; how's that? :)

8. JBinGB

JBinGB New Member

Thanks everyone so much for responding, I have a few error coins (Clad, etc) but I admittedly am not real well versed with error coin values and other than the "Sold" results on Ebay, I had no idea what to expect with this one. Just glad I had multiple offers and I actually sold this coin for $155, thankfully a Sellers "price" means little, the final sales price will always determined by ............
    what the BUYER is willing to pay.

9. djhughes

djhughes New Member

Wow you sold it for $155 ask the buyer if they want more I have a lot of them. Find them in rolls all the time.

10. JBinGB

JBinGB New Member

The buyer liked this penny for all of the multiple errors on the Obverse and reverse, I'll ask, they'll probably want to see what you have, put some out there on Craigslist and see what you get. Quite frankly, I was a bit overwhelmed and surprised by the response, the bidding war drove the price up I believe, I just asked for a highest and best offer since I had a multiple fair offers on the table during a busy week.

11. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

Now that's the way to sell coins for fun and profit.

12. JBinGB

JBinGB New Member

Thanks, it was fun (for the most part. At least 4 of the 5 top bidders were good with the highest & best offer process). I've been more of a pocket change collector, but have gone through my share of shot-gun rolls as well. thanks again to everyone for all the feedback.

13. ikandiggit

Wow! I have dozens of coins that were struck through grease. I can't see why someone would pay that much for something that is relatively common.

Good for you for finding someone with deep pockets and little knowledge of what errors are.

14. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

$155?, now I've got to go and dig in my toss bucket

15. rickyh211

rickyh211 Member

looks like it got rubbed off.

16. JBinGB

JBinGB New Member

Yeah, the buyer was thrilled and so am I. I'm just grateful they liked the coin that much, maybe a child of the 70's? Just into coins that catch your eye? Maybe they just like missing digits, but my favorite digits relating to this coin was $155 :D

17. rickyh211

rickyh211 Member

:D Congrats, I wouldn't have bought it i can't go higher then $20

18. ikandiggit

Don't worry, if you coin roll search, you'll find lots of them at face value.

19. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Sorry, this coin is nothing, it's a grease filled die and common. Although there's some of us that collect them (more as a novelty), I would never be willing to pay for one because they are so common. The person that bought this coin for $155 didn't have collecting knowledge, the coin is worth $5 or maybe $10 on a good day to the right person. I have many with WAY more missing design elements and, if yours was "worth" $155, then mine must be worth $1000+ each........too bad their not. Please give me that buyers contact info, I'll sell him as many of these as he wants for $100 each. LOLOLOLOL

20. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Here's an example...

Attached Files:

21. navolin

navolin New Member

1999d penny missing last 9

How do you post a picture of your coin to be seen?

Draft saved Draft deleted