1979 Washington quarter error on eagle claw

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Jonathan Kirwan, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Jonathan Kirwan

Jonathan Kirwan New Member

Has anyone seen anything like this before. I have been searching and can not find any other 1979 quarters like this one...

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. USCoinCollector42

USCoinCollector42 Well-Known Member

What's wrong with it? I don't see the supposed error.

The quarter in your picture is too far from the camera for me to see anything. Take a closer picture of just the quarter on a flat surface.

4. Jonathan Kirwan

5. Jonathan Kirwan

Check out the eagle's claws

6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

It blurry.. But probably just worn due to circulation wear

7. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

Picture is blurry but could be a die crack. Welcome to Coin Talk. We understand that photos can be a challenge but members will do our best to help.

8. coinsareus10

coinsareus10 Well-Known Member

9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Given the fact this is just surfacing after 38 years, with no known examples and the wear on the quarter as compared to the Eagles claw I would say this is not a Mint error. More likely damage. Still hard to tell from the photos.

10. USCoinCollector42

USCoinCollector42 Well-Known Member

It looks like normal wear from circulation.

11. Jonathan Kirwan

I thought it was wear at first as well, but it is a section that is raised just as high as the other claw and it covers some of the arrow lines... and everything else around it is actually pretty crisp looking... I will try to get some better photos of it.

12. oz_in_ohio

oz_in_ohio Active Member

Possibly an error but would count my chickens before they are hatched.... Get it certified by a professional...You may have to pay a bit but it is better to have it on
    paper from a reputable coin dealer that specializes in errors than try to sell on a maybe. Just remember if you have that certificate, the world is your oyster as collectors of varieties and errors will want to purchase....You have to decide if you want to spend the money on the certificate or not....Other than that, i think it is just general wear and tear from circiulation....

13. ScottyP

ScottyP New Member

I have a1966 quarter with a similar error. Definitely not ware but rather misformed claw during the strike.

14. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

First, welcome to the neighborhood, Scotty!

It would be best if you started your own thread in the "Errors" forum and provide good, clear photos including a close-up so that we can examine them.

Draft saved Draft deleted