1979 susan b wierd mint mark?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Benny77, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Benny77

Benny77 New Member

Here is another one i know nothing about any help at all is great thank you.is this the elusive blob mi t mark????

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dave363

Dave363 Well-Known Member

Welcome To Cointalk
    Based on your photo's its very common it's a filled MM you will find alot of these on all coins no extra value. JMO
    Dave

4. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

There is only one type of mintmark for the 1979-S SBAs struck for circulation, and that's what you have. The proof issues have 2 types of mintmarks, but it's the clear S that has a premium

Spark1951 likes this.
  5. Dave363

@Oldhoopster Did I miss call that if I did then I want to sorry to the OP.
    Dave

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It's a normal circulation strike with wear.

7. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

You're right about the no added value. It does look a lot like a filled mm but that just happens to be how a normal 79-S SBA looks

8. Dave363

Ok I wasn't sure and sure hate steering people in the wrong direction but also have been known to be wrong a time or two. Lol
    Dave

Spark1951 likes this.
  9. Benny77

Benny77 New Member

Does that mean i have a keeper? Cause i was about to use it as bus fare lol???

10. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

It's bus fare. Not elusive.

Spark1951 and Oldhoopster like this.
  11. Benny77

Benny77 New Member

12. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

The Lincoln Cent Resource site:

"Mintmark Style -009 (Blob S) used from 1974-1979 (74 proof and business strikes; Proof only 75-79)".

Doesn't this mean the OP coin has to be an impaired proof? Isn't it the only way a Blob S could be on the coin?...Spark

13. Spark1951

The Lincoln Cent Resource site:

"Mintmark Style -009 (Blob S) used from 1974-1979 (74 proof and business strikes; Proof only 75-79)".

Doesn't this mean the OP coin has to be an impaired proof? Isn't it the only way a Blob S could be on the coin?...Or is it the result of die deterioration?

Spark

14. Spark1951

Looking like deterioration of the mintmark, cuz that is a bus. strike fer sure...Spark

15. Michael K

16. Spark1951

So, the OPs coin has a Filled S mint mark that looks like a Blob S, but isn't because they were only used on proofs in 1979. What would be the mint mark style designation? -008 is the Tall S and the -009 is the Blob S and apparently it is neither of those.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, just accurate. I suppose it is possible to have a blobby looking Tall S? And that is the one used for circulation? That would make it a blobby -008, but that is impossible because the Tall S was last used in 1974...Spark

17. Michael K

79-S business strikes had the blob S. It's the most common one.
    We are just talking about the Susan B Anthony, and not the other denomination mint marks. There were no Susan B's before 1979 and you are
    mixing in mint marks from 1974-1979.

Spark1951 likes this.
  18. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

13 cents + change if there's no bus strike :D

s-l300 (2).jpg

19. Bert Gedin

Bert Gedin Well-Known Member

If not bus fare, is that elusive blob worth walking for ???

20. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Spark, the reference you quoted was the Lincoln cent resource site and what it said was only in reference to Lincoln cents. If the 1979 S in question had been a Lincoln cent then yes it would have had to have been an impaired proof. But is was an SBA and San Francisco did make those for circulation using the same worn "blob" mintmark punch that had been used for proof coins since 1975. Most of the proof 1979 S SBA's used that blob punch as well. Then it was retired and the new clear S mintmark punch was put into use and it was used on a smaller percentage of all of the denominations in the 79 proof sets. The clear S was NOT used on any of the circulation 79 S SBA's, but it was used on the circulation 1980 S and 1981 S SBA's, all of the 1980 proofs and most of the 1981 proofs and then another S mintmark stype was introduced for a smaller percentage of the 1981 proofs on all denominations. That punch lasted til 1985 when the S was added to the master dies.

Spark1951 likes this.
  21. Spark1951

Got it...finally...I just thought it was supposed to be something other than Blob S. The Lincoln Cent Resource has that listed so as to lead you down that rabbit hole.

I was researching my six 74-S coins for large and small types (found 2 small) and ran into the term "Blob S" for the first time. I had learned some about filled/clear mm 10 years ago.

Thank You, Sir, for being patient and sharing your expertise with me, I was not trying to be deliberately obtuse...Spark

Draft saved Draft deleted