1979 SBA

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Joshua White, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Joshua White

Joshua White New Member

Just found these in my Grandpa's change bucket.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

4. midtncoin

midtncoin Well-Known Member

JW, Sorry to tell you but they are common as dirt and only worth a dollar. At my office, we have a change machine that gives change for $5's, $10's, and $20's in dollar coins for the vending machines and about 10% of what it spits out are Susies. Most modern vending machines accept dollar coins so go grab an ice cold soda with them.

5. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

In the universe of Susan B. Anthony dollars, this is the most common one, the 1979-P with the "far date / narrow rim". Literally any other date / mintmark / variety is better. This coin is collectable only if in unusually pristine condition. I have a few like that, but it takes some looking.

6. Joshua White

Joshua White New Member

I also came across this one ...It was tucked away in a hanky ...And from what I can tell it looks like the wide rim near date..?.

Attached Files:

7. V. Kurt Bellman

Yes, sir, it does appear to be one.

8. Joshua White

Joshua White New Member

My first real find!!! Im hooked!

9. V. Kurt Bellman

Like many of them, it's a little banged up. Here's an exercise in thought - Why are the wide rim variety usually found in not quite as nice a condition as the narrow rim? There is a numismatic answer. Think about production schedules and the "art" of hoarding.

10. Joshua White

Joshua White New Member

First thought.... Because there is more mass around the edges which leaves the rest of the coin a little thinner and more malleable..?

11. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

The last photo does look like the near date variety 1979-P. Although the coin is scratched, it's still a keeper.

12. Joshua White

Joshua White New Member

I have a Susan B. Anthony 1979 that has a gold tinge to it ...Is it just me or is there such a thing ? 20171017_155845.jpg

13. Joshua White

Joshua White New Member

To be honest... I'm Not Completely sure the definition of numismatic. I mean the embodiment of the definition .

14. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

On the 1980-D SBA, they weren't making goldish looking Sacagawea's or President coins then, so it can't be a wrong planchet error.
    I am not seeing the gold, but if it's there, it's probably some toning.
    Oh I thought you posted a picture of the gold SBA. I see you said 1979.
    Why are you posting about a 1979 and showing a photo of a 1980?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  15. V. Kurt Bellman

A lot of Susie's that were put away developed a little toning from whatever they were stored in. It's attractive stuff, for the most part. Many are yellowish but I've seen purples and blues too.

Here's why the 1979-P SBA's wide rims tend to be a little rough. They were a "late discovery" that took a few years to be noticed and accepted as a variety. All the earliest ones were the common narrow rim, and they were heavily "put back" or hoarded in massive numbers. The wide rim variety was a "late in the production year" extra run and had been made from rehubbed dies after the expected production run at Philly was finished. They essentially are done with a 1980 hub and die that was redated 1979. The hoarding on the East Coast was so bad, they temporarily ran short and needed to run an extra run of 1979's at Philly only, and they were done with dies made from the rehubbed and backdated 1980/79 hub.

Nobody was told about the difference and all those wide rims ended up grinding through commerce. I consider myself lucky to have found a NGC MS64 in "circulation", actually a piggy bank.

16. Joshua White

Joshua White New Member

Do you have a picture of it? I would love to see for comparison.

17. V. Kurt Bellman

My move into my new urban location is well under way and I'll make a pic of the NGC MS64 an early shot. I can give you the NGC serial number if you want to see theirs. In all honesty, I think MS64 was a tad generous on it.

The NGC # is 4473907-003

18. Joshua White

Joshua White New Member

I would love the serial number.

19. V. Kurt Bellman

I added it above.

Draft saved Draft deleted