1979 s Susan B Anthony silver dollar

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Joshua Killian, Nov 14, 2021.

1. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Great comment. I’m still laughing.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mike Thornton

Mike Thornton Learning something new everyday.

I don't think it will get you a McMuffin. Maybe a sausage biscuit, before any applicable local taxes. Won't even get you a cup of coffee today.

paddyman98 likes this.
  4. Mike Thornton

Mike Thornton Learning something new everyday.

I see it, I see it.

5. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Just read in NN that there are 500,000,000 of these still in the vault. It appears the Mint made too many, could not get rid of them and did not want their records to show a loss.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Very nice how they can take five cents of metals, shape them into a coin and imprint a value onto them. They now show a $.95 cent profit on the books. If they melt them, all that profit disappears but it’s okay to pay storage fees to keep from losing money on the books.

tommyc03 likes this.
  7. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

The mint never issued a silver SBA. The 1979S, Proof, type 2 and the 1981S, proof, type 2 are the most valuable of the series. Welcome to CT and good luck. Keep posting!

JPD3 likes this.
  8. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Maybe the Banks in the future will be able to release the hoards and have an impact on the 75 year old "then" coin design?
    If there is such a coin shortage. How about whenever you have more than 60 cents in change, the 7/11 would give you a Susan B. I am sure that they might find some value. They surely would circulate, especially if you got a dollar when you spend them.

tommyc03 likes this.
  9. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

There are some fun coins in the batch of 80' souvenir sets. A few that I found have some nice early to mid die states. It is the contact after strike (light luster breaks) combined with unstruck planchet that causes a Susan to turn ugly pretty quick.

10. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

@Joshua Killian
    I'm curious if you have read the responses given to you on your thread? o_O
    You were on CoinTalk yesterday afternoon. Maybe a simple thanks to acknowledge that you learned what's up with your SBA.

11. bruthajoe

bruthajoe Still Recovering

I can add 1 to the unofficial population. Late stage...

Attached Files:

12. bruthajoe

Figures. Seems to be the one that I'm missing. SBA San Francisco's were included these sets of Denver's, and why???
    My missing set would be 79 Denver? There not very minty looking sets.:yack: IMG_20211118_072715.jpg IMG_20211118_071934.jpg

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
  13. bruthajoe

I was LLooking two. :confused:

14. RoseWesche

RoseWesche Official "Crazy Cat Lady"

I’ve got one in my correction as well.

15. bruthajoe

You have to have one. Your not a collector unless you have one. It's one of my first "finds". It's exciting to see something different and I think the SBA may have hooked a handful of people into collecting. Where it went from there was a life story. I have to say though, The SBA was a staple in my early collection and I still have it... them. I saved them all.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  16. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

The early mint sets are tarnishing. The coins should be removed and soaked in 91% isopropyl alcohol to preserve them. I know nothing that can prevent this tarnish and it affects almost All sets regardless of storage conditions. Sets stored poorly have simply already tarnished while those stored well (like these) are just starting.

Older sets and "bad" dates are already almost universally affected. Most of the coins can still be saved since the tarnish can often be removed but as time goes by it becomes permanent.

A lot fewer of these coins survive than most realize because rolls tend to be scarce and the mint sets have been destroyed in large quantity. Now the surviving mint sets are usually tarnished and getting worse. I believe the coins should be cleaned now to make them available for future generations. Wholesale prices of sets have been soaring recently as demand has bumped up against supply. Sets are coming out of the woodwork to sell into the higher markets but this won't last long because there are few sets in the woodwork and most are tarnished.

bruthajoe likes this.
  17. bruthajoe

18. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Can you show us the difference. I couldn’t make it out in the link above

Draft saved Draft deleted