1979 s Susan B Anthony silver dollar

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Joshua Killian, Nov 14, 2021.

1. Is this worth anything

Attached Files:

capthank and SensibleSal66 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Hello and Welcome !! NOT Silver .Worth exactly $1 . Buy yourself a Mcmuffin ! :happy::hungry:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2021
    Kurisu, PassthePuck and 1stSgt22 like this.
  4. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Welcome to CT. Even though your coin has the S mintmark, it is a cupro-nickel clad copper business strike coin, with over 100 million struck and 3-4 thousand proof strikes.
    Here is the info for your coin
    https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces3548.html

5. JPD3

JPD3 Well-Known Member

If you are looking for Sue B. dollars from a collector's stance, the only thing that comes to mind are the 2 different varieties, wide rim and narrow rim. Other than that, the only ones I myself have are the proofs. Welcome to the group...keep searching :)
    upload_2021-11-14_7-16-21.png
    (image from usacoinbook.com)

6. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Just to clarify, it is only found on the 79'P

7. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

I see 1$ spend it.

Joshua Killian likes this.
  8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Worth face value. Buy a donut and enjoy.

9. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

SBA’s are cool because it was our nation’s first foray into small dollars. Unfortunately the public didn’t care for them so they saw very little use so finding one today is a rare thing. It’s a cool foundation for a budding coin collector, however they are still a face value piece.

10. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Gotcha! There were the $1.00 gold coins. :D

11. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

You can't use it in vending machines and most cashiers under age 40 will give you a funny look if you hand it to them but it is legal tender.

12. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

I've heard the depository has tons of them, but because the public refused to use them, there are very few still in circulation, so finding one is cool, but that's all.

13. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

And that begs the question...how many near dates are being held?

Collecting Nut likes this.
  14. Collecting Nut

Well, I’m holding one in my collection but that’s it. Lol

15. Pickin and Grinin

I just bought a couple hundred of them in mint and after market mint sets, As, I go thru them this winter. I sure will post a few. Hopefully some high grade ones, and not just cool die deterioration.

16. Pickin and Grinin

They are sitting in world banks. That was the height of the 70's inflation. Problem was and is again that there is much more money than can be spent. It works as a negative to the economy. The average folk that loved coins, couldn't afford a Mint set. The Susan B's sit in vaults. Cause Paper money ruled the land.

tommyc03 likes this.
  17. Collecting Nut

Best wishes for a good hunt! :)

18. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

Wholesale on these just went up to $2.25 in chBU.

The '80 mint set has been in high demand for a year now but I can't imagine why. It was a very high mintage though a lot have been cut up and spent.

The real winner in the set is the D half dollar if you can find one without shallow scrapes.

Watch for the '79-S in Gem. It is very very underrated. This one is choice but not Gem.

Dynoking likes this.
  19. Pickin and Grinin

Meant to say souvenir sets, PDS Susan only.

Thanks for the heads up on that one.

20. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

The souvenir set coins are almost invariably lower quality than the regular mint set coins but most are still worth 2.25 each wholesale.

But three things bear note. There are no near-dates in regular '79 mint sets and are in these. Also, I have seen spectacular Gems of the same quality as regular mint sets of the Philly coin in the souvenir set! Most amazingly there are spectacular Gem S-mint in the souvenir but not in the regular mint set.

'80 souvenir sets are better but still inferior to regular mint sets.

I've seen so few of the '81 souvenir sets that it's meaningless to compare. I shouldda held on to these since they are apparently quite scarce.

I don't have much experience with BU rolls of the '80-S. Perhaps they are poor and this is why the mint set is hot.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  21. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

It's a doubled die. Look on the back, there are two Ls in DOLAR.

Draft saved Draft deleted