1979 Quarter Error or damage?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Jacqueline Najera, Jun 16, 2021.

1. Jacqueline Najera

Jacqueline Najera New Member

Hello, I was sorting through my jar of change and found a 1979 Quarter that looked odd to me maybe an error or just damaged. The mint mark I cannot tell what letter it is it just looks like a dot. The Y in liberty is almost missing and the left eagles wing is raised almost like it bubbled up but it doesn’t have any flame markings. I know nothing about coins and don’t even know where to start with this thing. I’m thinking it might be just damage but was super curious because if it is damaged how could the other side not show any type of damage to the left wing?

Attached Files:

AidenAlexander likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Definitely damaged. Spend it and don’t bat an eye doing it.
    Welcome to CT.

4. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

It probably spent some time in a parking lot...

5. Snowman

Snowman Senior Member

Looks like heat damage - clad coins sometimes bubble up when they are heated up like leaving a quarter on a hot stove. This quarter looks like it got some kind of heat and then cleaned with a a wire wheel or brush.

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

First, welcome to the neighborhood, Jacqueline!

Being new to numismatics, searching for Mint errors is probably the worst facet of the hobby to start with. There are "gazillions" of ways that coins can be damaged, both intentionally and unintentionally, while in circulation. The problem you will encounter is that very, very, very few are given names, so the likelihood of finding anything about them in an internet search is pretty much futile.

However, if your desire is to learn more about Mint errors, then I'd suggest that you acquire a book on the subject to help get you started. Good luck!
    OFFICIAL PRICE GUIDE TO MINT ERRORS.jpg

Flyboy, paddyman98 and SensibleSal66 like this.
  7. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Here's supposed to be another Awesome Book ! 51h1aXjl2tL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

paddyman98 likes this.
  8. JPD3

JPD3 Well-Known Member

paddyman98 likes this.
  9. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

DEFDAM - Definitely Damaged
    Not a mint error of any kind.

Suggestion.. There is a Error Coins forum here on CoinTalk. Use that forum instead of the What's it Worth forum.. It's more important to find out what you may have first than anything else.

Draft saved Draft deleted