1979 Proof Set with both Type I & Type II Coins

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by LatentWagen, Feb 3, 2016.

1. LatentWagen

LatentWagen New Member

[​IMG]

I have a 1979 set with what appear to be both type I and type II coins. The SBA is clearly type I, with the smaller denominations being type II. I'm not 100% sure, but I think the Kennedy is type I, but the flash makes it tough to tell.

All the research I've done indicates that these proof sets are either ALL type I, or ALL type II, without any mixing. Any thoughts on this?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

The cases are not actually sealed. You can pry them apart and take the coins out if you want. Someone probably took the SBA from the set and replaced it with a T1. I think it's the most sought-after of the T2s, isn't it?

LatentWagen likes this.
  4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Individual shots of all of the coins is a must. Large files, so we can discern........

5. LatentWagen

LatentWagen New Member

It's clear as day, look at the SBA blob versus the Washington's crisp S.

Seems like the SBA and Kennedy must've been swapped out. My dad purchased this set ages ago, probably early 80's. I guess the type II SBA was the coin to have back then!

6. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Well then I guess you won't be needing any opinions from experienced collectors on Coin Talk!!

ikes4ever likes this.
  7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It's night time here.

Chris

8. LatentWagen

LatentWagen New Member

Thanks for the help, but I wasn't asking IF they are T1 & T2, but rather WHY they're all together, and Paul M. was most informative in that regard.

Not when it comes to discerning basic mint mark varieties! But thank you for the fly-by.

Is that numismatic humor? Or did your mom accidentally turn off the basement lights? ;)

9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

There is nothing clear in the image but it looks as if you have your answer.

10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

My Mom passed away in 2006. I hope your Mom is doing well.

Chris

11. TradingGreen

TradingGreen Active Member

I've been working on updating my inventory and in doing so looked through my proof sets. Sad to say that this is the first time that I have looked for the actual varieties of my sets. In doing so I have one complete type 1 1979 and one split type 2 1979. In this set I have a type 1 Kennedy and Susie. The other 4 coins are clearly type 2. Sorry no photos.

LatentWagen likes this.
  12. billy b

billy b Active Member

Sorry for your loss chris.My mom passed in 2007,I will never forget the taste of that crap they put on her lips.Because I made them open her coffin, one last time so I could give her a kiss farewell.HAVE A GRAND DAY !

13. LatentWagen

LatentWagen New Member

Sorry about the mom joke, I'm forgetting the demographic here.

Have you clicked on the image to enlarge? Look at the SBA... blob S. Look at the quarter and nickel, clear S. Granted, the penny, dime, and half are harder to see (but I figured it was because of my poor vision and 5 year old laptop!).

Well, we either have a couple of sets from the same batch, or someone has been yanking the higher-dollar coins out and selling them on. My set really doesn't look to have been tampered with, does yours? Did you buy your set new?

14. TradingGreen

TradingGreen Active Member

I don't think I was still buying proof sets in 79 so I assume that it was part of a larger collection that I bought. The case looks good and the type 1 coins don't look to have been handled.

LatentWagen likes this.
  15. iontyre

iontyre Active Member

My 1979 set clearly has a type II cent while all the others are type I. It's the one I got directly from the mint, so yes, they can be mixed in individual sets.

LatentWagen and ikes4ever like this.
  16. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

This is incorrect. The sets started out as all type I and the coins did not all switch to type II at the same time The cents started first and the last coin to switch over was the dollar. Most sets are all type I, next most common are mixed sets, and the scarcest are the all type II sets. It can be a bit misleading looking at ads for availability because all Type II sets are listed as type II, but everything else is just listed as a 1979 proof set.

ldhair and LatentWagen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted