1979 penny from unopened mint set weighs 2.98 grams

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by jjohnson3582506, Sep 15, 2019.

1. I have a 1979 penny that weighs 2.98 grams . The 1979D in the set weighs 3.11.

Do I have a rare coin. My research says it could be brass. Thin planchets are usually attributed at 2.4 or under. Any thoughts or tests I can try to determine?

I weighed 5 other UNC pennies and they all weigh 3.10 to 3.11 so I know the scale is accurate and my woman has another coin scale and it weighed 2.98 on hers as well

Thanks..

Jeremy Johnson
    IMG_20190915_220742121.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

@Rick Stachowski is our resident aficionado on Lincoln cent varieties. Maybe he can help you.

Chris

4. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

No. Standard is that 95% are 3.11 +/- 0.13g

thomas mozzillo likes this.
  5. Brian Nguyen

Brian Nguyen Active Member

It still within the tolerance +/- .13gr.

6. Raymond Lee

Raymond Lee New Member

Mine only weighs 2 grams. Is that significant? Thank you

7. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

@Raymond Lee : Please start a new thread with pictures and a description of the coin. 2.5g is the nominal weight for the copper-plated zinc cents from mid-1982 on.

FWIW, some boards want you to use older threads if it's the same basic topic. Here we lean towards separate threads and frown on hijacking.

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

This thread is 4 years old. Best to start a new thread and post full sized photos of both sides. Welcome to CT.

9. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Hi Raymond Lee, The difficulty is helping is that your Scale or Balance , you are only giving a single number which would be grams, but the weight of the cent as developed by the U.S. Government uses 2 decimals places after the period. Eventually you can get a X.XX weight similar to something like 3.10 or 2.66, etc.
    Amazon and other sources are fairly reliable.

Jim

10. Gerald Legrand

Gerald Legrand New Member

i have a question wahat is legal as far as cleaning coins to pgns is it. so used a few cleaners most seem to do more dmage what acually works.

11. Gerald Legrand

o and answer to x.xx is 3.10 perfect is 3.11

12. Gerald Legrand

does ezest work tried ms 70 with luck on a curtain variety also pink spray a vegan worked a bit if you don't touch coin scratch very easily. also tried some flitz work but if left in looses shine works in close to a few seconds but if not clean enough whenm you spray it on wou,t clean coin properly and to do it to many tim,e can run into problems

13. Gerald Legrand

When dealing with older coins in any case new no harm until left in to long. so what works right keeps sheen and doesn,t fade and also good with the numerologist.

Draft saved Draft deleted