1979 gold canadian maple leaf

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by mj982000, Dec 21, 2010.

1. mj982000

mj982000 New Member

1979 Canadian $50 gold coin - 1 oz.

It is a 1979 gold Canadian Maple Leaf $50 gold coin. I will try to describe it as best I can and will provide pictures as well. I am trying to find out what it is worth.

On the front it says "Elizabeth II" along the top and has a profile picture of Elizabeth II in the middle. Along the bottom it says "14 kt 50 dollar 1979".

On the back it says "Canada" along the top and has a maple leaf in the middle with "999" on each side of the maple leaf. Along the bottom it says "fine gold 1 oz or pur".

Now hears the problem. The coin is no bigger than 3/8 on an inch from side to side. Any idea how much this would be worth?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Fifty

Fifty Master Roll Searcher

4. krispy

krispy krispy

This thread is useless without photos. Please post up close and in focus images of each side of the coin. It might help to place a ruler alongside the coin when taking photos.

From 1979 - 1982 Canadian 1 oz. $50 Gold maple coins were made with a composition of 0.999 pure gold (99.9%) and measure 30 mm in diameter and 2.8 mm thick.

After 1983 these coins were made in .9999 (four nine) pure gold. Dimensions are the same as above.

At 3/8" diameter (0.375" inch) converted to millimeters equals 9.525mm, this is smaller than any gold Maple minted. In 1993 a 14mm 1/20 oz fold coin began being offered. That is the smallest maple coin.

5. mj982000

mj982000 New Member

I can't upload the pictures. If you can please supply email address and I can email you them.

thanks.

6. prolawn_care

prolawn_care New Member

Probably not going to get many e-mails if any... Too much Phising going on. My guess is that you have a "mini coin" which is basically worthless most of the time, but some are made of gold. Most "mini coins" are made with gold plating which is very minimal. Basically it's a mini version of an expensive coin...

7. krispy

krispy krispy

sorry no, I don't share email address with unknown strangers on public forums. Photobucket offers free accounts where you can host your images. There you can find smart phone apps for iPhone, Android, Blackberry and maybe other devices, which allow you remote upload and image sharing to forums such as this one. Check out Photobucket.com

8. mj982000

mj982000 New Member

9. krispy

krispy krispy

thanks for posting the pics.

kind of hard to tell from these images what you have there. the edge of the obverse almost looks worn along the "50 dollars"

if it's as small as you mentioned in your first post, I suppose it could be a shrunken mini coin, could be pure gold or could be plated if it's a replica. couldn't say without having a dealer weigh and test it for purity.

10. prolawn_care

prolawn_care New Member

Try to get an exact size and weight if possiable, that will do wonders to help identify the coin!

11. mj982000

mj982000 New Member

coin

It's 9.5 mm wide.
    DSC04193(1).jpg

12. prolawn_care

prolawn_care New Member

Yeah i would say it's replica, definatley not an ounce of gold unless it's as thick as it is wide, and im positive it's not... I would say gold plated, so it's basically worth at tops $5. You can find them on ebay for around 2-3 bucks...

13. wazzappenning

wazzappenning Member

if it does say 14 kt one one side, it might be plated 14 kt. maybe solid 14 kt, but i doubt it. it cant be 14 kt and 999 gold at the same time since 14 kt contains about 50% pure gold. and its definitely not one ounce.

14. prolawn_care

prolawn_care New Member

My guess would be 14kt plated. Your best way to find out is to take it to your local coin dealer and they will test it for you.

15. Jen Spina

Jen Spina New Member

Just wondering if the original member who posted this question ended up selling the tiny coin. I have one exactly like it from my grandfather's coin collection.

16. Jen Spina

Jen Spina New Member

It says, "1979 50 dollars ounce pur gold". However, I realize that it is NOT 1 ounce. maybe it's 1 gram or 1/20 of an ounce. IMG_6400.jpg IMG_6399.jpg IMG_6399.jpg

Jesse Aldridge likes this.
  17. jj00

jj00 Well-Known Member

18. Just to keep the necro'd thread alive, that holder is consistent with the original holder of some 14k gold mini coins I own. I would say it looks like a real, but very light, gold coin. The ones I have I believe are 1/10 of a pennyweight AGW each.

19. Jesse Aldridge

Jesse Aldridge New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted